We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Have you seen how much Yaesu FT-857's are selling for?  (Read 1025 times)

Elf36

Have you seen how much Yaesu FT-857's are selling for?
« on: December 22, 2021, 1644 UTC »
I had considered buying a Yaesu FT-857 to free up some space on my desk and have 2M SSB. I have been watching them sell on Ebay anywhere from $1200.00 dollars to over $1500.00. I could have bought one on Craigslist a few weeks ago for $550.00 , but it was too close to Christmas. I could have flipped that rig for a nice profit. If only I could go back in time :(  Anybody who's got one made a great investment!

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Have you seen how much Yaesu FT-857's are selling for?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 2216 UTC »
A lot of these older rigs still commend good money. I just sold my Kenwood TS-50S for $400.00. Not because I just wanted to sell it but because I was not using it. My Yaesu FT-847 covers more bands and is also an expensive unit to acquire on eBay. My next transceiver will most likely be an SDR which is where the proceeds of the sales will come into play in order to fund an expensive machine. Have you looked at the price of ICOM transceivers? These are no longer "hobby" rigs. You almost need a small loan to afford such a machine.

Elf36

Re: Have you seen how much Yaesu FT-857's are selling for?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 0200 UTC »
Yeah. At least Icom still produces the IC-718, which is affordable. Especially on the used market. These prices just fuel the Chinese market of transceivers. As a matter of fact, a lot of them have proven to be pretty reliable and offer new hams a more affordable option to try out the hobby.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 1221 UTC by Elf36 »