We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: indoor loop antenna recommendations...  (Read 2740 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
indoor loop antenna recommendations...
« on: January 02, 2022, 1905 UTC »
Happy New Year everyone!   I am in the market for an indoor Loop to use with my  recently acquired Tecsun 990X and my soon to be delivered (hopefully) Malachite  SDR.  It doesn't matter if the Loop is Active or Passive.  High Sensitivity is slightly more important than Low Noise as I live in the heart of Wisconsin farmland . As always, I find that fellow HFU'ers provide  the best answers to topics such as these so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and hoping for a prosperous and healthy 2022 to all,
Don
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: indoor loop antenna recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 1912 UTC »
I've not used one, but the MLA-30 seems popular. And theres a MLA-30+ version, too. Like 40 bucks or so. Might check one out myself before too long.
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 1930 UTC »
Thanks .  The MLA -30 has gotten some pretty respectable reviews but it appears rather large  for indoor application.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 2001 UTC »
Now you got me thinking. There was an indoor active loop "THAT WORKS!" on the Tech Minds channel on YouTube, but I must've forgot to save it to a play list. Give that channel a look.
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 2002 UTC »
Will do. Thx

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 2249 UTC »
I purchased a YouLoop well over a year ago and I am very pleased with it. I tie a small piece of rope between the top and bottom connector points in order to keep the form and then just hang it in a window. If you want it steerable then you will need to manufacture some kind of frame for it. Beware of counterfeits (and there are lots of them out there) and purchase it from Airspy.

There is a nice MLA vs. YouLoop shootout here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyI33hs590o

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 2340 UTC »
Not familiar with the Youloop, but I've seen good things about it. I also have an MLA-30 loop and it's not nearly as terrible as it's made out to be. It works just fine for standard shortwave listening. For Utility, Pirate and beacon listening, a dipole outside provides better RX capabilities, but all in all, it is a decent antenna for the cost. I have a Grundig G3 in my office and I think I might install it there. I tend to use my 135' OCF dipole and HF rig for day-to-day listening.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 0005 UTC »
The MLA-30 was once on my "shopping list" to try but I then opted for the YouLoop for its portability. It travels well with my Belka DX and requires no power. The YouLoop also routinely come on sale at almost 1/2 off the regular price and depending on which Airspy distributor you use, also includes free shipping. My main loop antenna is a Wellbrook installed on a rotator.

Online kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 0027 UTC »
  I wrote about my rebuilt MLA-30 at the beginning of its appearance on the HFU.
Let me just repeat that it is worth experimenting with its reconstruction
 - the amplifier is connected to the coupling loop, and the large basic loop is tuned to resonance.
 Find the best location!
There is information on the net that the MLA-30 + has a better (less noisy) balanced amplifier and an improved power supply (without a DC / DC converter).
 These antennas are worth the money spent!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 0030 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 1605 UTC »
I bypassed the DC converter in the MLA-30 as well. I have yet to ever actually deploy it, but it worked fine at 9v to 12v direct in my very limited testing.

I also installed a connector at the loop preamp so use whatever type and length of coax. Usually cheap RG-6.

I have been keeping a YouLoop in a window as a backup MW/HF antenna for when disconnecting outside antennas like during storms.

It works okay for casual listening in that role, though there are a couple of technical caveats. Impedance can vary widely by frequency, and naturally given the size, gain is well into negative numbers. You might need to deal with one or both aspects. I have posted a NanoVNA sweep of the YouLoop, plus my experience using a L-match tuner to improve the match with a Grundig G3 portable.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,71326.msg241978.html

Alternatively a preamp can be used instead of a tuner. I have used the YouLoop with an old MFJ MFJ-1020B, though have found even a basic preamp like the Nooelec LaNA can work, though some attenuation might be needed depending upon local noise floor, signal overload, etc. YMMV, of course.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 2156 UTC »
Splendid info, guys.   I just received my Malahit DSP SDR V3 this morning. Since the ChiComms insist on sending this radio with no manual I have spent a few hours "trial and error'ing" my way thru the myriad of menus and submenus. So far so good. I think once I get a decent antenna hooked up this radio will perform as advertised. Needless to say,  the flimsy "rubber ducky" antenna is pretty useless but I guess thats life in the big Shanghai.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 1502 UTC by East Troy Don »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 2212 UTC »
Try these links for an English translation of the Malachite DSP receiver manual and additional information.

http://linuxslate.com/Instructions_Malakhit-DSP_en.pdf
http://linuxslate.com/Instructions_Malakhit-DSP_en_2.pdf

Malachite DSP - SDR  Radio Receiver
http://linuxslate.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1595619341

Offline ultravista

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 1456 UTC »
~SIGINT~ how does it compare to the Wellbrook? I have a Pixel 1B and thinking about getting a Wellbrook as a second antenna.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 1507 UTC »
Sigint, thanks for the links.

UltraV,  from what i've read and seen on YOUTUBE the W6LVP loop performs almost identically to the Wellbrook at less than half the cost.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 1614 UTC »
Both the Wellbrook and the W6LVP are no match against the YouLoop or MLA-30. My Wellbrook outperforms my YouLoop and my home brewed loop antenna. It is not so much so the physical antenna portion itself which is important but the quality of the pre-amp that is the more critical part. The passive loop that I built was nothing more than a left over piece of heliax that I had laying around and a matching transformer which I spun myself on a toroid. That antenna actually worked pretty well and was my test antenna to determine if I wanted to invest the money into a Wellbrook or similar product. I still have the home brew and considered perhaps either adding a Nooelec pre-amp to it or modifying it into a transmitting loop.

There are no shortages of comparisons and videos between the Wellbrook, the W6LVP, the Pixel and most recently the Chameleon. Keep in mind though that most of these are really outdoor antennae. Wellbrook used to manufacture a smaller indoor model of the 1530. I am not sure what is currently available but their new FLX1530LN looks interesting.

I would suspect that your Pixel is most likely a decent loop. I have no experience with that one.

For anyone looking to get into loop antennae, I would recommend that you first spin your own using coax, use a good matching transformer and pre-amp (optional) from Nooelec. If you like the results you can then determine if you want to invest in a commercial product. There is nothing complicated in building a receiving loop and for test purposes, the parts are cheap.