We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: An AM Carrier-Current station from your livingroom? This dude does. And, gear???  (Read 1864 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Huh... Most folks doing a station either do it from the den, basement, attic, garage, or even a bedroom closet. This dude set-up in his living room. Eh... Why not???   https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/workbench/workbench-retirement-starts-in-your-living-room
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 1845 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
A friend is looking at starting AM Carrier-Current Broadcasting for himself. Problem is, the AM transmitters are not too hard to find, but finding Carrier-Current Couplers is getting to be more of a challenge, since when Radio Systems and LPB, Inc., couplers come up for sale on ebay, they go immediately. So, someone wants them. However, I found this on Digi-Key's site.   https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/power-line-communication-ac-coupling-circuit/81566     Has anyone ever tried this unit? It's meant more for data transmissions, kind of like DSL for PLC, (Power Line Communications.), a.k.a. same thing as carrier-current coupling really. What I don't see is how much power that this unit can take. That, and it's all fixed tuned-coupling, a.k.a. not adjustable like a Radio Systems CP-15 Coupler. Anyway, it's what is out there as a possible Carrier-Current start-up.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
The cct.pdf and low_power_radio_broadcasting_me.pdf docs available at the following pages have schematics for low-power AM transmitters and AM carrier coupling devices.

https://sites.google.com/site/lowpowerradio2/carrier-current-broacasting
https://sites.google.com/site/lowpowerradio/home/low-power-broadcasting-by-james-r-cunningham

Looks like the typical coupler is mostly a transformer, variable caps, and a couple of fuses for safety; plus a basic pad attenuator on the input side if needed. The cct.pdf doc has formulas for the transformer windings.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
It pretty much is that for the AM C-C Coupler, an adjustable, transformer isolating, Medium Wave RF Tuner, for matching very low impedance values. One of the best resources that I have is the 1979 book from Ernest Wilson, (The Panaxis Productions dude.), of Carrier-Current Broadcasting Techniques: The Wired-Wireless. I really need to get that scanned to .PDF. Thanks, for the links! Always good to have Part #15 broadcasting knowledge INFO out there.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
My Minds.com page let me post .JPG PIC's of TEXT, but not upload .PDF's. So, If ya want to Roll-Your-Own-Coupler for AM Carrier-Current, it's certainly doable and some have done it.  https://www.minds.com/groups/profile/876322093051867136/feed   Someday, I want to scan Ernest Wilson's book in its entirety, but for now, I'll footnote those two pages.