We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MLA-30 Mod Step 1: Complete...NOT SO FAST :(  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MLA-30 Mod Step 1: Complete...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 2309 UTC »
Oh no, no, no, no. You will not get the RSP to power that antenna. The MLA-30 ships with a 12 volt power supply and the specifications are: Power Supply: 5 volts and Current Drain: 750 mA.

The RSPdx's Bias T will only provide 4.7 volts at 100 mA and most computer USB ports only deliver 5 volts at 500 mA. The RSPdx alone requires +/- 200 mA to operate.

I saw this and was like "Great!".
https://youtu.be/1rtkClK46EE
But you're saying this won't work, right? The only reason I bothered with the MLA-30 is because I thought I could power it with the RSPdx's bias-T. I'm confused by the "5-12V 40mA" stated on the case.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 2311 UTC by ErikMattson »
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
Re: MLA-30 Mod Step 1: Complete...NOT SO FAST :(
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 0108 UTC »
The label is correct, but you need to use a USB power supply connected to the MLA-30 biasing tee USB port.  The circuit in the biasing tee converts the 5 volts input to 12 volts out of the SMA connector, labeled to Antenna.  The 12 volt powers the preamplifier in the MLA-30 antenna unit.  The preamplifier needs at least 9 volts to work.  I have tried powering the MLA-30 several ways (9 volt battery, a 12 volt wall wart with another bias tee).  The best way for me was the unit's biasing tee with the battery USB supply.  I posted a picture of the battery USB supply in this topic.  I hope this helps you.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 0126 UTC »
Not sure how it's working for the guy on the Youtube vid, but I'm done worrying about it. This antenna isn't a necessity. Anyway, I've got a big Anker power bank. That'll do it.

Thanks again, everybody. Case closed.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 0211 UTC »
Considering that the video never shows the circuit working and that buddy BS his mouth off for 5:18 this has zero credibility. The video is a complete waste of time.

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 0232 UTC »
Considering that the video never shows the circuit working and that buddy BS his mouth off for 5:18 this has zero credibility. The video is a complete waste of time.

Agreed. Thanks, SIGiNT.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 1306 UTC »
Erik,
I tried several USB power banks and found their noise levels ranged from terrible to bad.  My suggestion to you is to keep the power bank a good distance (say 6 feet) from  both the antenna and receiver.  The FCC has no radiated emission (noise) requirements for digital devices for frequencies under 30 MHz.   No wonder listening medium wave AM and shortwave  is bad. 
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 1433 UTC »
The inexpensive video amp in the MLA-30 might run at 5v with substantially reduced gain, though that kind of defeats the point of the small loop antenna design. ;)

About supplying USB power for preamps, short of a regulated linear PSU, I have found Apple USB wall warts tend to deliver consistently the lowest noise in my limited testing.

All that said, I suggest either modify the included bias tee to bypass the 5->12 volt step-up converter, or just outright replace the bias tee with a direct feed model.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 2210 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 2013 UTC »
I did the F connector mod to mine some time ago.  I also built a bias tee for it, running off a switch mode wall wart power supply.  With the suburban noise, and the inherent noise in the loop preamp, I noticed no difference in performance between the switching supply and batteries.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 2113 UTC »
Some wall warts, even switching models, have decent filtering. Sadly, many do not.

I have added filtering caps across the internal side of the power connectors in some of my bias tees. Probably not needed, especially when using a regulated linear PSU, but they were quick and inexpensive to do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 2210 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 0025 UTC »
The bottom line here is that it does work. Probably not as well as it should, but it works. I'm using it right now, quick-clamped to my deck railing just outside the basement window, powered with the RSPdx's bias-T. Listening to some weirdness on WBCQ (0024 UTC, 8 JAN 2022).
That said, it's just not worth the hassle.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 0237 UTC by ErikMattson »