We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HF Transceiver/Computer oddity  (Read 1250 times)

Elf36

HF Transceiver/Computer oddity
« on: February 05, 2022, 1414 UTC »
So I have noticed that sometimes when I TX on PSK31, my PC will start doing odd things such as opening blank tabs or things like the calculator? I just had it happen again while operating 20M CW. I turned off the interface between the PC and the rig and it is still happening? Kind of annoying when I'm trying to keep an eye on FLDIGI as well as tabs for QRZ and a DX cluster. I guess I should start by getting some toroids for various cables?

BTW- This just started recently. Maybe in the last 3/4 days
(14:36) Just went to restart my PC and saw that I had 27 Calculators open in the background
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 1436 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: HF Transceiver/Computer oddity
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 1524 UTC »
Sounds like common mode. Ferrites on the interface cable, and ferrites on the keyboard cable since this appears to be an input-related issue.

In the meantime, do you perhaps have a different keyboard to try?
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 1530 UTC »
I will have to look around. My son probably has 3 in his room! I really need to update my PC anyway. I have to reset my drivers for sound all of the time and sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect my keyboard also. Thanks for the response. I will get some toroids for sure either way.

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 2023 UTC »
I've got the snap-on ferrite chokes on everything. Amazon had a set of 20 of them in different sizes by "Jabinco" for ten bucks. Those and the toroids on the coax just before the receiver and I think I'm good to go.
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 2048 UTC »
Good afternoon Erik, Thanks for the feedback. I will check into that. We have one electronic store in my city left, that may possibly have some. If not, I'll go the Amazon/Ebay route. I do have some snap-on beads, but I need more. I also need some large-sized ones because my HF rig coax is RG213 and my dual band rig uses LMR-400.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 2051 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 2345 UTC »
Amazon or eBay are the last places I would purchase ferites or toroids from. You have no clue what you will be getting. Most likely junk or cores intended for winding high frequency transformers or switching power supplies.

If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. Purchase from a reputable dealer. The best place to start is with Palomar Engineers https://www.palomar-engineers.com/ Some of their products are currently on sale.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns