We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Russia Today and its subsidiaries cut from Europe and Australia  (Read 891 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2022/02/28/eu-issues-ban-on-russian-tv-channels/

The European Union is to ban the Kremlin-backed talk channel RT.

In a series of moves announced on Sunday, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the EU would ban RT (Russia Today) and the news agency Sputnik.

“Russia Today and Sputnik, as well as their subsidiaries, will no longer be able to spread their lies to justify Putin’s war and to sow division in our union. So we are developing tools to ban their toxic and harmful disinformation in Europe.”

As also reported by Broadband TV News, a campaign led Ukraine’s Ministry of culture and information policy, and supported by leading Ukrainian media groups – 1+1 media, StarLight Media, Media Group Ukraine, Inter Media Group has written to operators asking them to pull the plug on any Russian news channels broadcasting over satellite, cable and OTT.

A number of countries have already taken their own action at both national and operator level. Poland and Latvia were early movers. However, the UK is waiting on the outcome of an Ofcom investigation into RT.

Wanna bet we see more SW in the future?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline M R I

• View Profile
Re: Russia Today and its subsidiaries cut from Europe and Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 0453 UTC »
That’s what we talked about on a recent OfficialSWLchannel on YouTube I would not be surprised to see them fire up shortwave transmitters to get the information out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 0501 UTC by M R I »
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 2136 UTC »
It could be a fluke, but I noticed this afternoon that Sputnik is missing from Galaxy 19.  RT is still up there however.

RT has been pulled from DirecTV.  Sputnik is still on the air in DC via 1390 AM.

As of 3/4/2022 RT is no longer on Galaxy 19, just a still picture.

+-RH
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 0030 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 1916 UTC »
Would not be surprised to see Russia back on shortwave.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns