We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Who here doesn't have a MFJ ATU?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Who here doesn't have a MFJ ATU?
« on: May 26, 2022, 0157 UTC »
It seems like everyone who lists their equipment on radio forums has at least one, but in face to face conversations they've got nothing good to say about them. I've got three or four and think they're dandy. Nothing wrong with something that's cheap and does the job.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Who here doesn't have a MFJ ATU?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 0733 UTC »
I still have my MFJ-16010 from the 90's and took it out of storage to use with my Belka receiver when I first got it.  It is cheap, but does exactly what it advertises to do so no complaints here.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 1317 UTC »
I have a 993B sitting next to me hooked up to a 137' doublet and a pair of Bonito Boni-Whips connected to a Yaesu FT-847. Use it mainly as a fancy antenna switch, but I do tune up the doublet. Have no complaints with it.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 1515 UTC »
I've always used properly tuned antennas for my stuff and don't use tuners with one exception.  For a while, I had a FT-857 in my pickup with a CB whip on the back.  I had an SGC autotuner in the bed feeding the whip.  It worked pretty well on 40 and 20, not real good on 75M though.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 0001 UTC »
I have used several of the MFJ Antenna Tuners over 20 years or so.  The only problem that I have encountered is the slide switches sometimes stop working.  I had good luck with switch cleaner.  The tuners' design is a classic design (High Pass Tee Match).  The matching is fairly good, but it does have it limits.  Trying to match too high or too low of impedance with a 100 watts will result in an arc occurring on one capacitors.  That was before I got an antenna analyzer.  I know of a couple of people who generally had good luck with them.  I think the problems occur when one does not know the matching limitations.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 1030 UTC »
They are used rarely, but I have MFJ-901B and MFJ-16010 tuners. I changed out the knobs on the 16010, but otherwise, no real complaints to note. They simply work.

I have various other MFJ baluns, preamps, etc. as well. Yeah, there are other brands with admittedly better QA testing, but most of the MFJ products I have work decently enough for my purposes.

That said, the current pricing of some MFJ products is getting a little "out there" IMO, even with the ongoing parts supply situation. A couple of personal experience examples....

My MFJ-784B DSP that mostly collects dust. It works okay for its intended purpose, but is it $369.95 useful? Probably not for most people. I prefer my old Timewave DSP-9 devices for usability, assuming I am even bothering with an outboard audio DSP at all these days.

https://mfjenterprises.com/collections/filter/products/mfj-784b

Actual usability aside, it is about the same for my VEC-162 going unused on a shelf. $299.95 versus HamScope or similar freeware. Hmmm.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/vec-162

....and thankfully those were purchased used years ago for far more reasonable prices.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 0444 UTC »
I have two of their tuners. When I go shopping, I'm not seeking them out but given the amount of them on the used market, you will see some for sale and given my needs and time schedule, I have gone for them.

They seem to work OK but I also haven't come close to stressing them either. I'm always careful not to hotswitch them, for example. Some of their other equipment reportedly suffers from some workmanship issues but these seem OK in that regard.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."