We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 8992 anomaly  (Read 4170 times)

Offline UtilitySeattle

• Snohomish County Washington USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
8992 anomaly
« on: March 06, 2022, 0132 UTC »
Weird noise heard all day on 8992 USB Sounds like a small prop plane buzzing around. Pretty sure it's not local interference. AnyWUN else hearing it?

https://voca.ro/1eeJFuQrmMC4
SDRPlay RSP-2 pro  G5RV Snohomish County Washington USA CN87

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 8992 anomaly
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 0156 UTC »
This thing has been present on 8992 in one form or another (it changes over time) since at least Dec 2021.  There is a pretty extensive thread concerning it on UDXF.

No one knows what it is, but the general consensus right now is that it is probably not a site in the HF-GCS network.  It is not data.  It is probably a failing transmitter.  It has been possibly geolocated (via TDOA) to Dakar.

Oh, and it is annoying.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline N9QIW

• Winfield, IN USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 0233 UTC »
I am hearing it as I type this on 8992 USB.   
Alex
N9QIW
Winfield, IN

Offline paranoidandy

• DN40
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 0415 UTC »
I hear that here in Utah. Every so often you will here a coded message. "This is Evolution" then a string of characters in phonetics then "Evolution out". Found info on Wikipedia; HFGCS (HF Global Com. System) voice frequencies are 4724.0 kHz, 8992.0 kHz, 11175.0 kHz, and 15016.0 kHz. Been real curious of the motor sound as well.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 0452 UTC »
I concur with Token with regards to it not being a HFGCS site. I am one of the individuals working the case on the UDXF. I am also convinced that the frequency is 8991.0 kHz and over 4 kHz wide, hence why you hear it interfere with 8992.0 kHz.

As for the location, the speculations currently favour Dakar but I am not so certain about this. I have now run over 30 TDoA each having different results. I cannot get a consistent fix on the signal. Earlier today I did get a few hits around Dakar but right now I am getting fixes around Brest ... in the middle of the water.

Failing transmitter, no, probably not. I have an 18+ minute continuous recording of this from 00:40 UTC 2022-03-05. An "angry" modem, perhaps. For now we are calling it the "Buzz Saw".

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 1210 UTC »
As for the location, the speculations currently favour Dakar but I am not so certain about this. I have now run over 30 TDoA each having different results. I cannot get a consistent fix on the signal. Earlier today I did get a few hits around Dakar but right now I am getting fixes around Brest ... in the middle of the water.

My TDOA results have also been inconclusive, at best.  I would say that Dakar is a possibility, but far from certain.  In fact, I have never gotten a plot that said, on the money, Dakar, but I respect the work of mco and linkz (they both are extremely experienced), and I believe they both have gotten Dakar plots.

Failing transmitter, no, probably not. I have an 18+ minute continuous recording of this from 00:40 UTC 2022-03-05. An "angry" modem, perhaps. For now we are calling it the "Buzz Saw".

It may not be a failing transmitter, but it is almost certainly something that is functioning in an undesired way.  The transmission is not data in any normal format, and I have strong doubts that it is data at all.

The evolution of the signal has been interesting.  4+ months ago it was a short transmission of a few pulses happening at just under 3 minute intervals, starting at a rate that allowed you to clearly see the individual pulses.  Over time it has slowly sped up and lengthened, so that it now starts at a rate near where it used to end, and sometimes goes on for minutes at a time.  I grabbed a continuous 10 minute recording of it the other night, and I stopped the recording before the signal ended.

T!
T!

Offline nycrich425

• West Palm Beach, Florida
  • Monitoring HF/VHF/UHF/Satcom daily since 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 1313 UTC »
I was under the impression this was jamming. I hear it only on 8992 and not the other GF-GCS frequencies. I noticed ground units transmitting and airborne units do complain about interference.
Airspy Discovery/SDR Uno MLA30+/W6LVP/Dressler Active Antennas/ Create Log Periodic/AT-GR197
Icom Icom R75/8600/8500/7100/7000/71-Kenwood 5000,
Ham callsign:KN4SCM

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 1422 UTC »
I was under the impression this was jamming. I hear it only on 8992 and not the other GF-GCS frequencies. I noticed ground units transmitting and airborne units do complain about interference.

Originally the signal was a few seconds every ~3 minutes or so, regular as clock work and really not intrusive at all.  Annoying, but no real hindrance.  Gradually, over the past few weeks, the signal has become longer and longer.  It is only hitting 8992, and none of the other HF-GCS freqs.  It appears to be Europe / North Africa, or that general region, sourced and during daylight hours that is the only region that can hear it.

It is just not a good candidate for an intentional jammer.

T!
T!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 2056 UTC »
This signal seems stuck on now.  It has been on, one-stop for the past 45 minutes.  Earlier in the evening it did come on and go off a few times, but each on period got longer and longer.

(edit) It finally turned off after more than an hour and a half of non-stop operation.

T!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 2213 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 2257 UTC »
2255 UTC - Anomaly is S7 in WNY, with a steady signal.
2200 UTC - I checked the University of Twente, Netherlands, WebSDR and the signal is a steady S7.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 2302 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 0512 UTC »
The signal has been stuck on now for well over the past 15 hours. The level is so strong to my location that believe it or not, it is an S4 from my mini-whip antenna which is not even powered on. It is literally just leaking through the mini-whip.

05:10 UTC 07 MAR 2022 - I just noticed that the Buzz Saw had ceased continuous transmission for now and that by 05:13 UTC had started up again with its shorter on / off duty cycles.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 0515 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
HFGCS 8992 USB 0141 UTC 13 MAR 2022
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 0143 UTC »
0142 - Is that jamming?! Or a part of some weird (to me) digital mode?
0147 - Stopped.

Started up again like a slow-to-start gas powered leaf blower. As it started I recognized the sound heard occasionally between the regular EAM messages.
Don't think it's any kind of jamming now that I've heard that. Still, pretty strange the way it winds up like that.

Short clip of it in progress: https://archive.org/download/hfgcs-20220312-204331-8992000-hz/HFGCS_20220312_204331_8992000HZ.mp3
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 0158 UTC by Erik Mattson »
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
Re: HFGCS 8992 USB 0141 UTC 13 MAR 2022
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 0424 UTC »
Hello Erik,

Have a look at this post, 8992 anomaly.
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,93928.msg299591.html#msg299591

The signal is still UNID at this time and I have been referring to it as the "Buzz Saw". Under normal conditions you will hear an 18 to 26 second or so long emission every 2 minutes 45 seconds.

I still believe the actual frequency to be 8991.0 kHz and 5 kHz wide. I can see some product in the waveform all the way up to 4.8 kHz.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 1847 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HFGCS 8992 USB 0141 UTC 13 MAR 2022
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 1747 UTC »
Hello Erik,

Have a look at this post, 8992 anomaly.
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,93928.msg299591.html#msg299591

The signal is still UNID at this time and I have been referring to it as the "Buzz Saw". Under normal conditions you will hear an 18 to 26 second or so long emission ever 2 minutes 45 seconds.

I still believe the actual frequency to be 8991.0 kHz and 5 kHz wide. I can see some product in the waveform all the way up to 4.8 kHz.

For a while now (month or so), when catching EAMs on 8992, I've heard it start up but stop after just a second or two, at randoms times in the space between messages. When I caught full-on buzzing last night, I didn't immediately connect the two. Then, right after posting about it, I heard it from its start, and it winds up like an old airplane engine, slowly building up to the full BUZZZZZ.
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 1845 UTC »
I started noticing the transmission in January. It started out occurring every 15 minutes but only lasted 1 second in length. It progressively got worse over time and occurred more often. I agree that it seems to be on 8991.

It is so strong that I can hear it on my Tecsun portables with a simple whip antenna.
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns