We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MW monitoring  (Read 4807 times)

Offline ratroo

• Shenandoah Valley Virginia
    • View Profile
MW monitoring
« on: December 31, 2012, 1951 UTC »
What's the station you have heard on MW that is the farthest from your location?  My is St. Louis from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: MW monitoring
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 2213 UTC »
For me it has been southern Mexico and possibly central America back in the 90s, though no log to prove it. KiloKat will chime in. He's logged stations with vid proof half way around the globe in the MW broadcast band.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 2232 UTC »
What's the station you have heard on MW that is the farthest from your location?  My is St. Louis from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.

Haven't measured it or made specific note, but can routinely get stations from NYC, Atlanta, and Texas up here. Nothing yet from south of the border. Plenty of Canadian stations, but so far nothing really far for them.

If you're talking about MW in general (not just MWBC), then Greenland on 518 kHz NAVTEX.  ;D
Also have received the stations in Bermuda & San Juan, PR.
Next on the list is the Hawaiian NAVTEX station.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 2246 UTC »
Good point Skeeezix. Ratroo are you talking about the upper portion of the MW band or the known broadcast portion? In the upper portion I've logged international broadcast stations half way around the globe. My response was in relation to the broadcast portion.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline ratroo

• Shenandoah Valley Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 2305 UTC »
BDM 530-1710 khz

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 1713 UTC »
In the MW broadcast band, the furthest stations for me have been either Mexico City or Cuba.  Guadalupe in Nuevo Leon or Ciudad Acuna in Coahuila might be further, though.  Anybody know which is most distant?  I still wish I'd gotten an ID on what I'm pretty sure was Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 700kHz... alas. 

I get New York, Boston, Denver, Dallas and New Orleans every night here, though those are all clear channel flamethrowers.  Lots of Canadians as well, most in Ontario, especially Toronto.  I routinely get Winnipeg and the sportscaster out of Montreal on 690, but the furthest Canadian I've had is probably one of the Saskatchewan stations I snagged.  Not sure who's closer, Melfort or Watrous.  Hmm. 

I wouldn't mind trying for NAVTEX catches.  What does it take to translate those?  I imagine you'd need recording equipment or a hookup between radio and computer.  Darnit. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 0950 UTC »
lately it's been CUBA on 1180am, I am in arizona. Caught El Paso TX last night in the car on 1360AM which crowded out our local station on 1360AM! it drifted in...stayed awhile then drifted back out (guess they were just 'visiting' hehehe) I can hear hets on 843khz and around the 900s, sorry don' have exact 900khz band logs nearby. I assume they are Asians. I am only using a random wire about 75' or so VERTICAL (only way, it's atop a condo building can't go horizontal without being Spiderman) and balun. I am surprised at my catches as this is an extremely noisy environment and our wiring is not grounded in this building  ???

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 1952 UTC »
I'm located in the Pacific Northwest.

My farthest catches on MW are JOUB-774 (Sapporo, Japan -- 4300 miles), JOIB-747 (Akita, Japan -- 4500 miles) and JOBB-828 (being the furthest away, in Osaka, Japan -- 5000 miles).  I also logged the Russian MW outlet on 1544 kc. in Vladivostok (about 4700 miles) once back in the mid 1980's, using my boombox and a 4 ft. spiral loop.

On the North American continent the farthest would be R. Rebelde-1180 at around 2700 miles (which I heard barefoot on a TRF); the second distant DX station being one of the several I've heard from Mexico City (the most recent being XEDF-1500, which I heard barefoot on my boombox) -- about 2300 miles.

Chanter: to find distances between your location and the DX location, I've found this online distance calculator handy:
http://www.distance-cities.com/
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 0343 UTC »
For decoding NAVTEX, I use YaRD. Its pretty slick.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline vo1-001-swl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 0055 UTC »
Longest distances logged on medium wave from here in Newfoundland would be India on 1071 khz and Djibouti on 1431 khz

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 1403 UTC »
My longest two are:

1) WWL 870 New Orleans  Here is a post from last year about 1300 air miles from me
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,63832.msg219253.html#msg219253

2) WNMA 1210 Miami My most frequent long catch, will knock out 50,000 watt WPHT in Philadelphia, about 1200 miles away
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)