We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna deaf on HF  (Read 1921 times)

Offline rpjjpr

• Dubois, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna deaf on HF
« on: March 22, 2022, 2001 UTC »
I just installed a Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna on my car. While I wait to get a VHF/UHF installed, I figured I would mess around with the Yaesu FT1XD. The FT1XD has wideband coverage down into HF. I can't hear anything. I was checking the connections and found that if I take the antenna off and remove the whip and touch that to the center conductor of the NMO mount in the roof of the car I can hear HF. There must be something in the base of the antenna that is killing HF. I have used listened to HF with a small whip and c copper VHF J-pole before. So, I'm just kinda stumped. I was just wondering if someone had a simple answer or could point me in the right direction to learn more about what is going on. I was excited to catch some AM pirates while on the go.
RSP1A, 100 foot longwire
RadioShack DX-399
FTdx10, ZS6BKW
QSLs welcome at jonathanpbowers@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna deaf on HF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 2359 UTC »
Some v/uhf ants are at dc (but not v/uhf rf) ground so hf isn't going to be stellar, might consider a length of wire to plug in and toss out the window when you wanna hf.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 0838 UTC »
JOSH is correct.

There will be an inductor in parallel with the antenna output and whilst hiZ at V/UHF will be a DC short at lower frequencies.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline rpjjpr

• Dubois, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 1044 UTC »
Thanks for the info and direction.
RSP1A, 100 foot longwire
RadioShack DX-399
FTdx10, ZS6BKW
QSLs welcome at jonathanpbowers@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 1104 UTC »
All you should need for basic shortwave reception in your deployment scenario is a short simple unloaded whip and perhaps a NMO to 3/8"x24 adapter if required.

Even just like a 3' to 6' whip should suffice, as much longer likely will overload your wideband handheld, which is a common issue with such handhelds at HF and lower frequencies.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 1259 UTC »
I agree with everything said here, but if you have an issue with the antenna on VHF/UHF, you might want to remove the base of the NMO mount and see if the metal tab that touches the base appears to make contact. As a general rule I have always taken off the base and pulled down on the tab, so that I know its going to have pressure on it when it's put back together.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 1841 UTC »
You may have an existing 30" AM / FM RX'ing antenna that you can already use on your vehicle. They certainly work better than those new short stubbies that come on vehicles today. That 10", 45deg, AM / FM stub antenna on my sisters 2012 Chevy Cruz just sucks.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 1344 UTC »
A general conclusion about VHF antennas to be used as HF receiving antennas with hand-helds or small SW receivers :

- that can be tried, but only if there is no DC short between the core and the shield at the low end of the coaxial line
- HH and small SW receiver are very sensitive and can work well with a very small antenna, provided the antenna input at HF is at high impedance (not of the 50 ohms family, but don't be fooled by the socket type)
- if there is a DC short seen at the low end of a former FM or TV receiving antenna you are no longer using, then you have to go in the attic or above the roof where the old antenna is placed and find a way to remove the short (generally, there is a folded dipole or a delta or gamma-match, so the best would be to leave the old antenna connected only to the screen of the coax, and to place a whip or a short length of vertical wire above that old antenna, with that new 'whip' connected to the core of the coax downline).
- before going in the attic or on the roof, try with your HH/SW receiver is working well on HF with just a 3ft/1m long wire inserted in the center of the antenna input socket !

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 1919 UTC »
I recall reading a Navy hf rx antenna study where they determined a 6ft vertical was about all you needed in most cases, but you have to consider the groundplane under that 6ft vertical being tested was a warship - typically a few hundred feet long and maybe 60 feet wide. A very common vertical shopboard antenna is just about flagpole height/length, and you will find these on just about any US warship.

I once had a cb 1/4w up about a wavelength on steel pipe masts and found it performed relatively spectacularly on hf, and even down into lf and vlf after a ground wire was added - the piping didn't make for a very good ground in itself. Doesn't take much for hf rx as most rx have excess gain, also the vertical excels at dx as it responds to lower angles of radiation than a typical horizontal dipole. Just some musings for ya.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 2005 UTC »
Pretty much the reason I have said if a person has already a decent VHF/UHF discone to replace (if possible) the usual 6m loaded whip with a regular ~9'  whip to add HF reception. It is not a weak signal solution, but it usually works fine for casual HF listening.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 2348 UTC »
The bottom line is if the background noise increases when you plug in an antenna system, it'll do.