We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Season's Greetings - 50,000 watt Class A MLB AM Radio Broadcasters - 2022  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
To my knowledge and research, these are the 2022 50,000 watt Class A stations carrying major league baseball in English this year. A single change from 2021 with the Orioles returning to WBAL, but the web site lists it as one of three flagships so I'm not sure if it is full time.  There are other 50,000 watt stations broadcasting baseball but they are class B stations.  Please free feel to add and/or correct.  All are flagships unless noted.  Affiliates may carry alternative programming at times (Blue Jays' Montreal Affiliate Hockey/Soccer).   As always, I welcome additions/corrections.

For those planning to listen to Yanks/Sox, the very first game of season, 1700 utc on April 7 - as of 1215 utc April 6, the Yanks/Sox opener has  been rained out and moved to 1700 utc on Friday April 8.

Update: Mariners/Twins lost to the weather tomorrow and I'm thinking Mets/Nats could be next.
Update 2: Mets/Nats moved from 2000 utc to 2300 utc on Thursday April 7 to avoid rain.

660am WFAN  New York Yankees
 670am WSCR  Chicago Cubs
 680am KNBR  San Francisco Giants
 690am CKGM  Toronto Blue Jays   Affiliate in Montreal, Quebec - English Service
 700am WLW    Cincinnati Reds
 710am KIRO    Seattle Mariners
 830am WCCO  Minnesota Twins
 850am KOA     Colorado Rockies
 880am WCBS   New York Mets
1000am WMVP Chicago White Sox
1020am KDKA  Pittsburgh Pirates*
1080am WTIC   Boston Red Sox   Affiliate in Hartford, CT
1080am KRLD   Texas Rangers     Broadcasts when there are conflicts for KRLD-FM Flagship
1090am WBAL   Baltimore Orioles
1100am WTAM  Cleveland Guardians
1120am KMOX  Saint Louis Cardinals
1140am WRVA Washington Nationals  Affiliate in Richmond, VA
1500am WFED Washington Nationals - this is not flagship, see post of April 10 below

*The Pirates' website mentions some games on KDKA 1020 am.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 1223 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
So the Chicago White Sox are on WMVP 1000 again this year - sorry to hear that.  Or, more accurately, sorry  to not hear that.....for 50 KW, its a pretty lousy signal.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
So the Chicago White Sox are on WMVP 1000 again this year - sorry to hear that.  Or, more accurately, sorry  to not hear that.....for 50 KW, its a pretty lousy signal.

Surprising as after sunset in Chicago, WMVP is heard well here.  My biggest disappointment is WCCO which is generally drowned out by a station in Worcester, MA here. 
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmmmmm........while not listed on the Nationals website as radio outlet, WFED 1500 am is currently carrying Mets/Nats.  That begs the question of whether it is flagship or overflow coverage if NHL/NBA is carried by actual flagship.

9 Apr 2022

1953 "Robles catches it and slams into the wall off the bat of Pete Alonso.  The score after 2.5 0-0"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 2358 UTC by Ct Yankee »

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmmmmm........while not listed on the Nationals website as radio outlet, WFED 1500 am is currently carrying Mets/Nats.  That begs the question of whether it is flagship or overflow coverage if NHL/NBA is carried by actual flagship.

So, I asked:
Hi Dean,

Not the flagship exactly, but probably the only affiliate you can pick up over the air in Connecticut! The Nats will be on our 1500 AM signal for at least the rest of this season.

And good point about the website – looks like both we and mlb.com need to make some updates. Thanks for flagging that, and thanks for listening.

-Jared

Jared Serbu
Deputy Editor
Federal News Network
(202) 895-5342
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 1225 UTC by Ct Yankee »

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
"Flagship" designation doesn't seem to mean much anymore.   WTMJ 620 AM is the Brewers flagship station and transmits a pathetic 10 kw signal at night. I live 40 miles WSW of Milwaukee and WTMJ's  evening/night signal is weak to the point of being unlistenable. I guess the Brewer's media office is unaware that they play the vast majority of their games at night.
Unfathomable.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
10KW on 620 KHz is far from pathetic.

Anything that covers Milwaukee to Green Bay is doing pretty good, and that includes a good chunk of Wisconsin's large population centers, Madison aside.

+-RH
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 1320 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
You would think so. Still, 10kw is 10kw..... they used to broadcast 50 kw 24/7 but then the station owner, The Milwaukee Journal, ran into $ problems when people stopped buying their newspaper. USA TODAY bought the paper and things degenerated from there