We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Signals around the Russian Buzzer  (Read 1603 times)

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
Signals around the Russian Buzzer
« on: April 21, 2022, 2353 UTC »
I am seeing some strange signals near the Russian Buzzer Frequency.  Here is a screen shot from my SDR showing them:

In the waterfall, one can see a sweeper that goes from a high frequency (4587) to a lower (4562) frequency.  Most Ionosphere sounds go from a low to higher frequency.  So this is a bit strange for me.  Any thoughts on it?

The other at 4643 looks like an analog tv signal with a carrier and one sideband, but much narrower.  I have tried to demodulated it, but, only get white noise.  Any thoughts on these will be appreciated, since I do not have a clue on what they are.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Signals around the Russian Buzzer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 0151 UTC »
The sweeping signal is a CODAR.  CODAR is a specialized coastal radar that monitor ocean wave and current activity.  CODAR can, and do, sweep either direction, up or down.

The other signal you describe is STANAG 4285, a digital modem used by NATO forces.  Normally it does not have a carrier present, why it is there I can't say.  Maybe someone selected the wrong mode, or maybe it is an unrelated signal on the same frequency.

T!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 0202 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 2231 UTC »
Thanks for the information :)  I will check to see if the carrier disappears.  Please take care in these strange times.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 2249 UTC »
I just check to see what signals were on now (4/22 2247Z).  It looks like two CODAR signals are on.  The one in my screen shot is definitely closer to me.  The STANAG 4285 with a carrier is also present, but, much lower in signal strength.  I wonder if the carrier may be a fault within the generating equipment.

I expanded the STANAG 4285 signal.  The carrier is definitely not part of STANAG signal.  It is about 600 Hz below the STANAG signal.  Thanks Token for the help.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 2254 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 1610 UTC »
I just check to see what signals were on now (4/22 2247Z).  It looks like two CODAR signals are on.  The one in my screen shot is definitely closer to me.  The STANAG 4285 with a carrier is also present, but, much lower in signal strength.  I wonder if the carrier may be a fault within the generating equipment.

I expanded the STANAG 4285 signal.  The carrier is definitely not part of STANAG signal.  It is about 600 Hz below the STANAG signal.  Thanks Token for the help.

I have seen part time CODARs, that do not transmit all the time, and of course normal propagation can bring one up or down for your location.  It is common for a given CODAR frequency to have multiple CODARs around the world on it.  Overlapping or intermingled CODAR is not uncommon.

Re the STANAG 4285 with possible carrier, the carrier may still be part of the transmission.  If the transmitter was in USB+carrier mode (H3D, H3E, or H3W) the carrier would be roughly 600 Hz below the bottom edge of the data.  The carrier is not part of the data, there is no pilot tone or Doppler tone in S4285, but still could be part of the same transmission.

Most often S4285 is sent USB or LSB, and no carrier is present, but the presences of the carrier might just be an operator mode selection (accidental or intentional) to USB+carrier.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 0033 UTC »
Thanks for the information.  I am bit surprised the presence of the carrier has not been noticed by the operators.  The signal seems to be on constantly.  Thanks for the help.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 1925 UTC »
As an addendum, S4285 is coded to tolerate a number of interfering carriers. I presume this carrier is not organic to the S4285 signal in question.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns