We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: That Time I Was Live Across The Globe On The BBC World Service  (Read 318 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
.. it happened last summer, not because I knew anything about sports, but because I worked in radio and I live in Alaska! I was listening to them on 12015kHz and texted in with a quick message after they did a story on Olympian Lydia Jacoby from Seward, Alaska.   They read my text on air and joked, "We've already got a reporter on the way to Seward now"

I replied with "If you really want a report "filed form Alaska" I have a broadcast studio I can record something in and included my phone number in the text reply.

5 minutes later, I had London calling my  cell phone and about 10 minutes later I was on the air.

I bungled my way through the call... here's the audio recorded off the 15490kHz transmission via Ascension to Africa:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u1emgzrswbjyw9l/BBC+WS+15490kHz+Paul+Walker+Call+In+Tue+July+27,+2021+0645UTC.MP3/file
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns