We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CFVP  (Read 828 times)

Offline buzzy buzzard

• Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • View Profile
    • CKUW 95.9 FM Winnipeg -  a great local station
CFVP
« on: May 26, 2022, 1831 UTC »
Just a little mention that CFVP 6.03 MHz is still transmitting these days.

I caught them during a bandscan of 49 metres a few days back but I wasn't fastidious enough to note the time and date.  This was my first catch of CFVP, largely because I never actively seeked out the station.  I more often heard the MW main CKMX 1060 KHz (Calgary's Funny 1060) many evenings of AM DX.  Now that CFRW 1290 Winnipeg was reformatted from a TSN sports station to Funny 1290, I thought for a minute that the local AM 1290 station was bleeding through onto the shortwave dial.  I listened for the commercial break and heard the Calgary branding. 

There you are, CFVP I had left for dead is still on the air.  I haven't read any post on the subject for quite some time.

Used a Marconi 138 console radio with an MLA-30 loop.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 1846 UTC by buzzy buzzard »
very basic gear: Realistic DX-160, bunch of alligator clips strung together for an aerial.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: CFVP
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 0013 UTC »
The last I heard of any Canadian  SW station out west were the efforts of local hams to save the Vancouver station years ago. I assumed they were all long gone. Thanks for the info.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 0429 UTC »
Here in Canada we have CFVP Calgary (100W, 6030 kHz) and CFRX Toronto (1KW, 6070 kHz). I haven’t had much luck hearing CFVP Calgary because radio Marti makes it impossible to hear it while they are on. Once radio Marti leaves the air at night it can be heard but I find the Cuban jamming remains on but luckily isn’t very effective.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 1255 UTC »
I have heard CFVP up here in west central Alaska.. better then youd expect, even without jamming.. but the jamming renders CFVP useless.. still audible, but useless
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 2007 UTC »
I've copied this station from my QTH in Colorado on exactly one occasion, in the middle of winter and at a time when thankfully both Marti and the jammer were off the air (6:00am locally, after Marti signed off but still a good while before sunrise). I don't know why they use that frequency. The jammer's copyability is intermittent (is it directional? If so, at what azimuth?) but Marti is like a local station here, and I can't imagine that it's a lot weaker in the target area of Alberta.

It's strange too because at the time (and I assume today) the station was running a nationally syndicated comedy broadcast. Not something like a news/talk format, which you'd think is the kind of thing people in remote mountain valleys would want or need.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • From the People's Radio Republic of Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 2304 UTC »

Last June while out in the SF Bay Area I picked up CFVP (maybe 0500 utc hour) a few times, clearly remember hearing comedy skits.  It took many attempts of location/time to pull them in though.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 0548 UTC »
CFVP was off the air for a while in 2020ish-2021, returning to the air in mid-June last year after a transmitter fix. I got an e-QSL from their QSL coordinator just less than a year ago.

I'm about 30 miles northeast of Seattle, and CFVP is a daily catch in the fall and winter here. At this time of year, the daytime noise levels sometimes make it trickier, but I can usually here it in the local morning (before 1700 UTC) and often at night. I just checked and could hear the standup comedy programming at 0525 UTC this evening. When conditions are right, and this happened just before 0100 UTC today, CFVP will even come in over Radio Marti here.

If you're old enough (I'm just over 50), you might remember the CBC also operated several low-power relays on shortwave, including CKZU on 6160 kHz in Vancouver, B.C., which I could hear from my childhood home just outside of Seattle. That relay finally shut down in 2017 -- one year before I started listening to shortwave again after a 30-year break.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns