We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chanting on 4.843 Mhz  (Read 4465 times)

Offline bryan24230

• View Profile
    • Email
Chanting on 4.843 Mhz
« on: May 14, 2009, 2359 UTC »
almost every night, useually really late like 2am to 3am I get real faint chanting of some sort on 4.843 Mhz AM
it almost sounds like Native American?? or Arabic chanting of some sort??

anyone know what this is??

also 4.894 AM im getting some sort of strange Beacon?? soudns like a pulsing sound of sorts

ive got audio samples of both just need to upload them to fileput or something

BTW radio im using is a model RX-320D PC radio from Ten Tec,   awesome radio !!

Offline Scagnettie

• View Profile
Re: Chanting on 4.843 Mhz
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 0059 UTC »
I believe its the Islamic call to prayer. I've heard it too. I was thinking it must be coming from Europe. The time adds up correctly.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 1143 UTC »
The signals on 4894 are NOAA buoys off the East Coast,relaying info on wave heights.

I think 4843 is the Mauritanian state station,Radio Nouakchott,but it's been a long time since I dx'ed those W.African stations?

If you're on the East Coast sometimes you can hear the West Africans well if you tune in the late afternoons before they sign off around 22:00 UTC  or so. The NOAA buoys normally aren't propagating well that early and the band is clearer. Winter and early spring are best for them.

You'll hear 'em easy with that Ten-Tec hooked to any kind of outdoor antenna.

Offline bryan24230

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 0401 UTC »
kewl, Yea ive got a 80 foot long wire antenna with a matching 9:1 Balun transformer with a coax feedline going into the Ten Tec RX-320D