We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: So, what's up with all of these NOAA Weather Radio outages?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I do on occasion check this page out, since supposedly our tax $$$$$'s are paying for these, but scroll down and check out how many outages there are as of late, (5/28/2022).   https://www.weather.gov/nwr/outages   Weird... 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: So, what's up with all of these NOAA Weather Radio outages?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 1715 UTC »
It’s not much better here in Canada. Our equivalent is Weatheradio Canada. Our local AM Weatheradio Canada (the VHF one is fine) has been of air for at least several years. I phoned and asked about it a few weeks ago and found they had been unaware of the problem (for SEVERAL YEARS). I have a feeling it might be hard to fix because the transmitter is a LPB AM-5 and low power broadcasting (LPB) is out of businesses so now there is nowhere to service their products.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 0440 UTC »
Oh yeah!!!! I've always thought that made some nice sense to have a Weather FREQ broadcasting on the AM BC band. Well, if that is indeed a LPB AM-5, unless that took a big lightning hit and fried that, a decent tech shouldn't have too much trouble replacing anything on that transmitter. Even if a new crystal is needed, a DDS oscillator will do very nicely on that. I know this, since a friend of mine is running his AM Carrier-Current station with an AM-5 and a DDS OSC for his selected FREQ. So, far, rock solid for 8 years with him on that. So, can be done.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 1952 UTC »
I've noted a couple of recent outages for 162.55 which is the big one for Denver (300 W I think, whereas I'm under the impression that most transmit at 100 W.... I could be full of it though, except the 300 W part). Hopefully not something that happens during tornado/microburst season.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 1714 UTC »
Oh yeah!!!! I've always thought that made some nice sense to have a Weather FREQ broadcasting on the AM BC band. Well, if that is indeed a LPB AM-5, unless that took a big lightning hit and fried that, a decent tech shouldn't have too much trouble replacing anything on that transmitter. Even if a new crystal is needed, a DDS oscillator will do very nicely on that. I know this, since a friend of mine is running his AM Carrier-Current station with an AM-5 and a DDS OSC for his selected FREQ. So, far, rock solid for 8 years with him on that. So, can be done.

You're dealing with Canadian government.  These are the people that are so uptight that when a new station signs on, they have to have a representative from IC come out and sign on the transmitter.  I highly doubt they will retrofit an old transmitter with parts that would void its type acceptance.

+-RH
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 2356 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 2127 UTC »

You're dealing with Canadian government.  These are the people that are so uptight that when a new station signs on, they have to have a representative from IC come out and sign on the transmitter.  I highly doubt they will retrofit an old transmitter with parts that would void its type acceptance.

+-RH

The Canadian's are a picky bunch. When the transmitter that served the little towns along the inside passage from Vancouver to the Alaska border gave up the ghost, a bunch of hams in the region retrofitted a Kenwood transceiver to do the job 24/7 at their own cost and labor. Radio/TV Canada rejected it w/o firing it up for testing into a dummy load.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://swling.com/blog/2022/08/noaa-weather-radio-needs-some-serious-upgrades/    I wouldn't mind if my tax $$$$$'s went for that. Question is, will it?