We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Listening for beacons 30 Jan 2013  (Read 1415 times)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Listening for beacons 30 Jan 2013
« on: January 30, 2013, 1916 UTC »
Last night I woke up at 5 am (1100Z) and couldn't get back to sleep, so I listened for all the beacons I know of in the range 4060 to 8000 MHz. I did not hear a single one. For a while I had a slight hint of something showing up on 4079.6 on spectrum display but I could not hear the CW of the TMP beacon.

I guess it was just a bad night propagation-wise? Has the whole season been poor? I haven't spent a lot of time listening for these beacons this winter but I've tuned around every couple weeks and didn't hear anything then, either.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Listening for beacons 30 Jan 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 2015 UTC »
It seems from my central Florida location that propagation is a bit better than you just reported. The higher frequencies, say above 19-20 Mhz seem disturbed. I posted some info on beacon loggings over the last day or two so some are still copyable depending on the time of day of course.

Don't give up the ship!

weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!