We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Two Brits arrested in Albania, accuse them of spying after seizing radio gear  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/two-brits-arrested-albania-police-27191861

I can see both sides of this. With a war...er, um, rather a "special miltary operation"... going on not too far away, the Albanians are on the look out for anything "suspicious" and we should note that
During the NATO military exercise Defender Europe 2021, two Russian men were spotted flying a drone at Kucova Air Base in Albania. They were held by the intelligence service then expelled.

Of course, it doesn't help that one of the guys LinkedIn profile mentions, "electronic warfare".

But at the same time it's really funny to me (and probably to many of us) that these guys carrying this stuff is such a big deal. It speaks to the lack of understanding of ham radio from others:
A source said: “It’s highly unusual to be carrying this sort of equipment...
The electronic kit by Kenwood – which makes a range of cutting edge communication devices – was sent to the Albanian Criminal Laboratory for further examination.
duard Merkaj, director of the border police, said: “It is an ongoing investigation and we are continuing to examine the machines seized.”

My suggestion to the Albanians: start by downloading the user's manual from the Kenwood website. :D Also, ask the Albanian native hams about them!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 1822 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline currentsitguy

• Western PA
    • View Profile
Back in the late 80's I decided to take my now ex to Canada. She was a refuge from the USSR. I also brought along my old Panasonic RF-B45 shortwave. Well when we came back across the US border we were singled out for some reason and taken inside for questioning. I can tell you at that time Russian crossing the border + shortwave radio = Being held for a long time, several hours.
Pittsburgh Area

RSP1A SDR, Funcube Dongle Pro+ SDR, Tecsun PL-880, C Crane Skywave SSB, Kaimeda SRW-710S, Xhdata D-808, HanRongDa HRD-747, Tecsun PL-330, Tecsun H-501x on the way!
New MLA 30+ that I didn't cut in the window this time!

MLA-30+Antenna

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Things have been heating up in the former Yugoslavia between the Serbs and ethnic Albanians there. The lesson is: Leave your fancy flyin' machines and radio's at home.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
And the Albanians loathe both the Serbs and their Russian pals. Albania's big ally during the Cold War was China. The Balkans are to say the least, complicated.

I miss Enver Hoxha.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Big deal,

Remember this headless clown?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Crabb

Official British government documents regarding Crabb's disappearance are not scheduled to be released until 2057
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 1448 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

• View Profile
Back in the late 80's I decided to take my now ex to Canada. She was a refuge from the USSR. I also brought along my old Panasonic RF-B45 shortwave. Well when we came back across the US border we were singled out for some reason and taken inside for questioning. I can tell you at that time Russian crossing the border + shortwave radio = Being held for a long time, several hours.

I have been harassed by both Canadian and American border agents, most of it before September 11, 2001. This has happened even on business trips and I've spent more time being detained and interviewed in the border guards' backrooms at the Ottawa airport than I care to think about.

My advice to anyone crossing the Canadian/US border with radios is to avoid the smaller, podunk border crossing stations in the middle of nowhere and away from the large highways. My experience has been that the folks working in those small installations have little to do so when someone does show up to cross the border, they feel the need to justify their existence and proceed to scrutinize every little thing you have: perhaps do a thorough inspection of your luggage, your vehicle, question you about your belongings, etc. It's not like that at the big road crossings and the big airports where they are busier and they have less time for detailed scrutiny.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 0548 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email

I have been harassed by both Canadian and American border agents, most of it before September 11, 2001. This has happened even on business trips and I've spent more time being detained and interviewed in the border guards' backrooms at the Ottawa airport than I care to think about.

My advice to anyone crossing the Canadian/US border with radios is to avoid the smaller, podunk border crossing stations in the middle of nowhere and away from the large highways. My experience has been that the folks working in those small installations have little to do so when someone does show up to cross the border, they feel the need to justify their existence and proceed to scrutinize every little thing you have: perhaps do a thorough inspection of your luggage, your vehicle, question you about your belongings, etc. It's not like that at the big road crossings and the big airports where they are busier and they have less time for detailed scrutiny.

I have had the need to travel by air for family purposes throughout the USA over the past 2.5 years.  Being located closest to a secondary airport, rarely can I find a direct flight to my destination so I check suitcases.  I take a radio, its wire antenna, charging plug/cord, and earphones with me when traveling.  The baggage with the radio in it always gets inspected (at small and large airports), I could wallpaper a room with the inspection flyer notifications I have found in my suitcases.  I've learned to place the electronic gear atop of everything else in the suitcase.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 1821 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

• View Profile
Dxpedition gone wrong...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scots-radio-ham-says-im-27202744

OFF-TOPIC RANT:

Colin and Paul, 61, took a field trip to Albanian capital Tirana to set up a new radio station to broadcast their signal to other enthusiasts worldwide.
They hired a villa and set up a wire antennas to broadcast information, using their established call signs.

Pet peeve: it's not broadcasting. Why do people use the words "broadcast" or "broadcasting" to describe any time anything gets put out over the airwaves? Hams don't "broadcast". Your cellphone does not "broadcast" a signal. Your garage door opener fob does not "broadcast" a signal to the garage door opener. Your laptop computer does not "broadcast" to your Bluetooth (TM) headphones. You can and should substitute the word "transmit" in every instance above. Stop misusing the word "broadcast". It drives me nuts.

RANT MODE OFF

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
You're no McGreevy.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns