We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate or ham jammer on 3860?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline bfrederi

• Boston area, MA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pirate or ham jammer on 3860?
« on: June 20, 2022, 0314 UTC »
This may be an ongoing 80 meter circus, so I don't want to post it in the Pirates forum. But the, um, programming sounds a little bit like a legitimate pirate, if that's not too much of an oxymoron. I don't see another topic or thread that this fits in, so will toss out here and see what the mods think.

Anyhow,

June 20 0230 -- 0305 UTC
3860 LSB Variety of things ranging from kids TV show themes to Rage Against the Machine to rants, taunts, & abuse.

S5 - S9 in the Boston area.

May have stopped transmitting while I was typing this @0310 UTC.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 0318 UTC by bfrederi »
- Usually Airspy HF+/SDR Console V3.1
- After the tree guys left, now have a 125 ft wire that goes up to the west from 12 ft to 40ft., then a stretch SE that drops to 20ft termination. I should probably just say "longwire" and not worry about it. Miss that tree.
- Sometimes Sangean ATS-909X with whip and/or stock reel and/or YouLoop
- Remote SDRs only used when signal not present at home QTH, and always noted
- Shazam only used to ID music released after 1992. Mostly.
eQSLs to bfrederi1@verizon.net much appreciated

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate or ham jammer on 3860?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 1354 UTC »
Hmmm.... Jimmy the Weasel is dead. Perhaps Jimmy Jr.?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 0037 UTC »
To be serious, there are always 2 or 3 guys like this on 80 meters with different agendas and converted broadcast transmitters. They come and go. Occasionally one will go off the deep end, but it doesn't happen very often.

Offline bfrederi

• Boston area, MA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 1337 UTC »
Yeah, I've heard some weird stuff on 80/75 over the years, but usually just verbal rants and abuse. This guy had a certain style, playing snippets of songs and sound effects.  And THEN going into rants and abuse. But very puerile and sophomoric compared to class acts like Ball Smacker.
- Usually Airspy HF+/SDR Console V3.1
- After the tree guys left, now have a 125 ft wire that goes up to the west from 12 ft to 40ft., then a stretch SE that drops to 20ft termination. I should probably just say "longwire" and not worry about it. Miss that tree.
- Sometimes Sangean ATS-909X with whip and/or stock reel and/or YouLoop
- Remote SDRs only used when signal not present at home QTH, and always noted
- Shazam only used to ID music released after 1992. Mostly.
eQSLs to bfrederi1@verizon.net much appreciated

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 2011 UTC »
But very puerile and sophomoric compared to class acts like Ball Smacker.

None of the hams who behave badly (and they're all licensed hams) have any class whatsoever. Just entitled children in the bodies of middle aged to elderly men.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 0346 UTC »
Yeah, I've heard some weird stuff on 80/75 over the years, but usually just verbal rants and abuse. This guy had a certain style, playing snippets of songs and sound effects.  And THEN going into rants and abuse. But very puerile and sophomoric compared to class acts like Ball Smacker.

Sounds like he's got a grudge against either one or more of the hams that hang out on that frequency? Maybe he used to be one of them and they ignore him now? Or perhaps he's just nuts?

I mentioned the late Jimmy the Weasel up the page. Jimmy was given ham radio equipment in the institution he was in as therapy. Jimmy would show up wherever it would transmit, raising Hell and singing his signature song,"I'm Gonna Pee on The FCC." He practically lived on 40 meters. The FCC couldn't do much about him, he wasn't considered competent for his actions.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns