We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FM Band Just Keeps Getting More Crowded  (Read 1846 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
FM Band Just Keeps Getting More Crowded
« on: July 10, 2022, 1431 UTC »
If you need proof that the FM band in the United States has gotten more crowded, look no farther than the latest station totals report from the Federal Communications Commission.

According to a comparison with historical data by Radio World, there are 4,601 more FM signals on the band than there were just 10 years ago, an increase of more than 26%. That includes an increase of 256 FM signals in the past year.

Full story: https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/business-and-law/fm-band-just-keeps-getting-more-crowded
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: FM Band Just Keeps Getting More Crowded
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 1910 UTC »
That amazes me.  With the ubiquity of a wide selection of streaming platforms available on  vehicles, phones, laptops, etc (as well as the sharing options available on those devices) I would've thought there would be less not more stations.   Go figure.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

UncleJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 2212 UTC »

"And the Hits Just Keep On Comin'"
                                                                  >:(   ha...ha...ha...!    >:(

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 0350 UTC »
When I was playing around with FM 15 or so years ago, there were always a few spots you could sneak into. Not anymore with the FCC giving spots to repeaters and community stations with set ups that give them much more power than the projected ERP predicted. Better hang on to your Mr. Microphones. 

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 0703 UTC »
Doesn't surprise me. FM is still the go-to for free audio entertainment, It hasn't been completely replaced by streaming, yet. As the AQH starts to drop, the stations get a little more shrill in their search for expanding a slowly dwindling audience.

Reminds me of the AM free-for-all that took place in the 1980s, when the clear channels were mostly cluttered up with new stations.

FM translators have given some AM stations a new life, so there's that.

Even though many FM enthusiasts (translate: FM DXers) complain about my metro and region being "full", there are still a lot of spots on the local FM dial where there either are no stations, or just the weak fringes of a station's HD buzz.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 1941 UTC »
I can't get past my gut feeling that the advertising industry is well on its way to razing FM  in the same way they absolutely trashed  AM.     MW is now unlistenable and FM is well on its way to following the same path.
Thanks IHEART.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 0126 UTC by East Troy Don »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 1958 UTC »
That is good for FM radio keeping it alive. I have a hi end FM tuner with a rooftop antenna that I occasionally turn on looking for interesting music. Unfortunately most of the good music is lacking. The best music I find is from small streaming stations. I then downloaded the good stuff for my station.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

UncleJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 2330 UTC »
   Even though the signal isn't that strong, KSER out of Everett, (a listener supported non-commercial station) has a Wide variety of programming to interest just about everybody's ears. I use my GE Superadio III because of the fine tuning quality & yet I still need rabbit ears (can't erect outside antenna(s) @ current residence) + a 4 foot long wire clipped to the built-in antenna just to get a more or less decent signal! I think you can hear them on the internet...I think. & There's always youtube. When I'm here @ library I usually bring along a, fortunately, very decent pair of ear buds to listen to whatever trips my trigger.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 0036 UTC »
It all started with FCC docket 80-90 [see note a]
add in the IBOC, translators and the LPs and the band has become an unDXable jumble.

[a] FM Atlas and Station Directory 1984 edition 9; page 7
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 0102 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 0117 UTC »
   Even though the signal isn't that strong, KSER out of Everett, (a listener supported non-commercial station) has a Wide variety of programming to interest just about everybody's ears. I use my GE Superadio III because of the fine tuning quality & yet I still need rabbit ears (can't erect outside antenna(s) @ current residence) + a 4 foot long wire clipped to the built-in antenna just to get a more or less decent signal! I think you can hear them on the internet...I think. & There's always youtube. When I'm here @ library I usually bring along a, fortunately, very decent pair of ear buds to listen to whatever trips my trigger.

As a member of this discussion board AND a board member of the KSER Foundation (this month's meeting is in 30 minutes!), I very much appreciate and agree with this shout-out. KSER is on 89.9 on Whidbey Island in Washington state, 90.7 in nearby Everett, and online at KSER.org or on the TuneIn app.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

UncleJohn

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 2247 UTC »
Hey TreeHouse...enjoyin' the weather? Hope it stays warm & Only warm. For some weird reason 90.7 is easier to catch than the Freeland relay...don't know why.  Hope you're staying cool.   8)

PXR-5

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 2345 UTC »
I find this interesting also, just about everyone I know subscribes to XM.

If there weren't so many darn commercials I would drop XM myself.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 0141 UTC »
I listen to XM radio on a very small portable with a built in FM part 15 transmitter to play on the car FM radio. I had it for about 10 years now. It has a lifetime free subscription. The quality of the audio is OK for the car but not as good as a 128K internet radio stream. I listen to comercial free XM music stations. I can’t stand listening to comercial FM radio anymore.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 0144 UTC by M R I »
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 0359 UTC »
You don't want to listen to 50 guys with fake Irish accents every St. Patrick's day? How dare you!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 0812 UTC »
I can't get past my gut feeling that the advertising industry is well on its way to razing FM  in the same way they absolutely trashed  AM.     MW is now unlistenable and FM is well on its way to following the same path.
Thanks IHEART.

I don't completely understand your point. Advertising still uses FM. Advertising still uses AM, although the big advertising agencies mainly use the higher rated stations, whether AM or FM. Advertising also didn't "trash" AM. People left AM for FM just around the same time that RFI started messing AM up.

Now if you're referring to the number of commercials on FM and AM stations, that's because they need to push more commercials to make money. Advertising rates have dropped on all platforms -- with the internet diluting the amount of money any platform -- be it internet based or radio based -- can charge, because with the internet there are an infinite number of advertising slots.

Radio is running on half the revenue they made in 2005.

People left FM because they have smartphones and they stream music instead of getting it off a radio. They also play video games, cruise social media, and have other content (movies, video channels, etc.) they're getting off the internet that competes with FM radio listening.

IHeart is just a response to that trend. It's not going to get better. They'll keep centralizing operations with AI just as every other major industry is doing. The industries call it "cost cutting" and "streamlining operations". The rest of us call it "getting laid off".

As for FM itself, they'll keep crowding more translators until the band is full. It's not full yet everywhere. Like I said earlier, there are plenty of open FM frequencies in my metro. We have a ways to go yet. But FMs days are numbered. Remember, EMF bought WPLJ in NYC along with several other stations for just $100 million. Unthinkable in 1985.

The times they are a changin'.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).