We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Electric charges on receiving antennas  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Electric charges on receiving antennas
« on: July 01, 2022, 1906 UTC »
EDIT :  this was in a topic about Continental Radio 6270 AM 1816 UTC 01 Jul 2022

- There's a storm around me, I touched the bare leg of the QRM Eliminator case and it pinches me!
I have to turn off the apparatus for safety! :o
Electric charges on your antennas. Usually that comes from charged rain drops. You can discharge them to an earth connection, but it's better to use a 1 megohm resistor or back to head diodes in parallel to the earth.
Of course, if the storm is very close, unplug !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 1427 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric charges on receiving antennas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 1938 UTC »
   This situation surprises me! I took a risk and, after disconnecting the antennas, I touched my leg with the antenna cable (screen and middle vein) - nothing pinches! And that's OK because the antenna ballon is symmetrical with a grounded center and through the cable shield it has a good connection to the "ground field" in the garden. The voltage I sense, approx. 35V, is introduced by the laptop's power supply.
I stated this before, but I thought that grounding the antenna set would remove this potential, but I did not check it. I have to work on it because the power supply of the laptop brings the noise level up to about 2S. Thanks for the advice Ray! Once, in a winter, during a snowstorm, Windom kicked me hard - static electricity!
  - delete it after some time, unless, as a warning, move it to the technical thread!
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. 25m L type (at home Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL)
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH:  NE Poland on long weekend Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 0309 UTC »
I knew about back-to-back diodes, but the 1 megaohm resistor is also a good idea to remember. I hope to re-erect a 100 ft. wire this Fall, I'll have to keep the resistor in mind.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 1233 UTC »
EDIT :  this was in a topic about Continental Radio 6270 AM 1816 UTC 01 Jul 2022

- There's a storm around me, I touched the bare leg of the QRM Eliminator case and it pinches me!
I have to turn off the apparatus for safety! :o
Electric charges on your antennas. Usually that comes from charged rain drops. You can discharge them to an earth connection, but it's better to use a 1 megohm resistor or back to head diodes in parallel to the earth.
Of course, if the storm is very close, unplug !

You can get bit by a barbed wire fence if conditions are right, which is why most farmers wear gloves when fooling with them.

Most antenna books instruct you to use the 1 megaohm resistor along with the ground rod when it comes to long wires and Beverages.

Wind is the big culprit on bare wire, using insulated wire cuts down on the risk of getting bit. Of course, in a thunderstorm that all goes out the window, as should the wire.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 1912 UTC »
Use the highest wattage resistor you can as nearby lightning has popped many a resistor used for such porpoises.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns