We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Portable SDR  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Fook'n Ionisphere
    • View Profile
    • PiratesWeek
    • Email
Portable SDR
« on: September 02, 2013, 1215 UTC »
TL; DR  looking for a usb dongle SDR with general coverage and can be run by an android tablet.

I'm looking for a suggestion for a new SDR. No I'm not giving up my NetSDR ( you'll pry that out of my cold dead hands) but I find myself in need of another radio.
 I'm typing this out from a remote campsite. Stiring life back into the campfire and drinking my second cup of coffee as the morning begins. I'm out here with ony two pieces of technology. My 10" Galaxy Note and the trusty Grundig G3. I think this scenario may be repeated many times in the comming years.  And as much as I like the G3 I miss the waterfall display. I may be addicted heh.
 So I ask this. Is there a SDR,  powered by usb, general coverage including the funny band, that can be run by an android tablet? I don't want to haul a lot of gear when I go camping,  but a SDR would be nice if it wasnt to bulky. 
 Any suggestions?
Ragnar Daneskjold

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Portable SDR
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 1345 UTC »
It looks like it is (or soon will be) possible using the Fun Cube Dongle Pro+ http://www.funcubedongle.com/?p=889
They are using Wifi for the connection though, with a USB to WiFi adapter of some kind, which presumably needs power. So it may not be as portable as you'd like.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

Re: Portable SDR
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 0328 UTC »
Not HF, but the NooElec RTL-SDR can be run by Android app.

Peace!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns