We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: La Montaña Colombia 4940 AM 0859 utc 18 Aug 2022  (Read 939 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • From the People's Radio Republic of Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
La Montaña Colombia 4940 AM 0859 utc 18 Aug 2022
« on: August 18, 2022, 0901 UTC »
Very good Reception, Spanish service

0859 Unid Spanish song, OM singing with backing chorus....maybe love ballad?  No indicator at top of hour.
0905 YL in song
0913 "Maqumix" Licantropez
0915 "Soy Valiente" Alex Campos
0928 Music continues but reception beginning to break up "Las Avispas" Juan Luis Guerra
0948 Music still received, sunrise here today 1003 utc
1003 Some music above noise floor, made it to sunrise  8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 1021 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline pasomonte

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: La Montaña Colombia 4940 AM 0859 utc 18 Aug 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 1440 UTC »
It is a mystery to me that a radio station (pirate or not) would be playing old Spanish standards and classics in La Guajira. It is a region famous, at least nowadays, for its love of Vallenato and Cumbia. This station sounds like something from the distant past.
La Guajira is primarily occupied by the Wayuu people. They do not consider their deceased ancestors to be gone. Could it be that this station is playing comfort music for their ancestors? Wayuu visit their cemeteries frequently and bring gifts of food etc. Perhaps they tune in to La Montana on their portable and play some of Grandpa's favorite music while they visit? Just a theory

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • From the People's Radio Republic of Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 1541 UTC »
Pasomonte -

I found your information very enlightening and compelling and it spurred me to do further research on the frequency, thank you.  On line research, both here and other sites, overwhelming refer to 4940 as being La Montaña Colombia.  However, on a thread authored by Ron in California, he forwards information from a gentleman in Spain, from a gentleman in Colombia,  which would lead one to believe the station might be best called UNID.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,97606.msg309150.html#msg309150

I suspect this response from Ron makes more sense to you than me.  My ID-ing of the frequency was from the the predominance of writing about it.  Really appreciate your insights.

BTW, welcome to the board  8)!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 1602 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 0620 UTC »
That’s a fascinating theory! I wonder though, what about the religious programs? I wouldn’t imagine the dead might want to listen to the religious programs, but maybe. What do you think? Also, does anyone know if the music is part of the Fuerza de Paz religious programs or chosen by the station itself? To me it sounds like they are separate programs, but I’m not sure. This station always makes me curious about it when I hear it. Somehow it has operated for years and yet nobody knows who operates it or where it is from for sure.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 1258 UTC »
Are the Wayuu the people who live up in the Santa Marta? If so, they're the northernmost Andean culture. I saw a TV program about them once, it involved their long pilgrimage on foot off of the mountain, down to the sea, and back.

A lot of the older guys on this board were smoking products that came from the Santa Marta in the mid-late 1970's. The Sears outlet in Riohacha sold more trash compactors than any Sears in the world in the late 1970's. I don't know what the folks there were doing with them. Sometimes it's better not to know.

After a little digging around, the Arahuaco are the people I was thinking of. The Wayuu are Arawaks and depicted in the movie "Papillion" as the people Steve McQueen accidentally escapes to. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 0052 UTC by Pigmeat »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns