We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AM STEREO  (Read 2301 times)

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
AM STEREO
« on: June 14, 2023, 1429 UTC »
Hello friends
I wonder if anyone likes to tickle their ears with nice stereo audio coming in from an AM station?
I have a (sort of) part15 stereo AM station on 1620 during the daylight hours and here are 2 ways to listen in.
These are links to hear C-QUAM AM STEREO

http://music-music.blogsite.org:8000/airmon
The link above is direct from a Denon AM STEREO TUNER

http://amstereo.blogsite.org:8073/
The link above is the KIWI SDR. You may have to tune it to 1620. It's on a public network and previous users may have changed settings.
Tune for 1620 and AM (NOT AM N) And press the button next to AM for QAM and you will hear stereo. Mouse over the cursor on the "dial"  ( The scroll wheel) to open up  the bandwidth for REAL HI-FI audio
Enjoy
ROKFRED

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: AM STEREO
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 1520 UTC »
Thanks, listening via the Kiwi (15:05 UTC 14 June 2023). I could not connect to the Denon tuner.

P.S. I noticed that the signal level on the Kiwi is at S+50 and occasionally clipping. You might want to add an attenuator on the receiver's input to avoid overload.

~SIGINT~
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 1526 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 1540 UTC »
hmmm that's strange for the Denon link not working.
The link should open another folder in the browser and a black screen with the player. After 5 seconds or so it automatically should play. Unless the server is kicking you off.

The SDR is S-50 but no overload indicator and the audio is fine.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 1541 UTC »
Ohhhh
The Denon tuner server might be at its limit for listeners. I think it can handle 3.

Fred

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 1600 UTC »
Hi Fred,

I get "connection has timed out" on the Denon. I will keep trying.

As for the Kiwi, I do occasionally see the "dBm" indicator flash red so it is probably just on the edge.

Good work. Sounds good. Perhaps when you have the chance you can tell us a little about the setup / equipment.

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 1616 UTC »
Sure.....
I'm using Station playlist as the playout software and the "radio station sound" for AM 1620. There is some processing for audio using Stereo Tool. That audio goes to more processing using APHEX Compellor and Dominator to the RF exciter. A Panasonic VP8132A which generates the C-QUAM audio and RF set at 1620khz. The antenna is a vertical resonant at 1620khz

Fred

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 2012 UTC »
Hi Fred,

Much appreciated and thank you. I was looking at the Panasonic a little while back as it is an "all-in-one" solution as opposed to having to deal with the old Motorola and miriade of external gear. Nice to actually hear the Panasonic on the air, considering it is supposed to be a piece of test equipment.

~SIGINT~

Offline TRI International

• DXing Phenomena
  • U.S.A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 2013 UTC »
2012 UTC song Bare footing

Nice sound via your web sdr  ;D
We need another card to shut out the draught HW ABT URS?
Use Shazam app. to ID songs, listening direct Airspray RTL SDR , Ham It UP Plus connected to 2 V shape long wires  40ft. high with a MFJ 941C Antenna tuner
QSL to trlinternational@yahoo.com or  trlinternational@protonmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 2138 UTC »
I listen to a friend's carrier-current AM stereo station on his SDR. I'll have to try your link after dinner.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 2309 UTC by Pigmeat »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 2323 UTC »
Sounding sweet on the Kiwi, Fred. Heard one of my late Mom's favorites, "Kansas City" by Wilbert Harrison.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 0026 UTC »
I modified a Sony ICF-2010 receiver by bringing out the both left and right channels to line level output from original CQUAM stereo synchronous AM detector IC in the radio. This with the switchable wideband Hi Fi AM filter mod sounds great. One of the best SAM stereo detectors holding lock into the noise without distortion especially on shortwave.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 0054 UTC »
thanks for reports and comments.
FYI I sign off around 8PM from the skip coming in from the many 1620's showing up. They really cut my coverage down at night......so i just turn it off and back on around 10AM.
Fred

Offline nitroengine

• Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 0228 UTC »
Welcome! I see you made it to HFU. (I'm Jacob over on the C-QUAM FB page).
Receiver: Unlisted KiwiSDR configured to 3-channel wideband mode.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 0210 UTC »
hi Jacob
Going to shaking things up on 43M band.....6955 on KRAP and using C-QUAM on shortwave.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2023, 0452 UTC »
Unfortunately the phase method of C-QUAM that was designed for the the local AM broadcast band can’t keep the stereo and center channel from constantly drifting called platform motion on shortwave. This is because of signal propagation fading causing phase distortion. This makes it just about useless unless you are transmitting closer to the receiving station especially during the day or have no phase fading.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com