We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: [UDXF] Night of Nights 2013  (Read 2630 times)

Fansome

[UDXF] Night of Nights 2013
« on: July 08, 2013, 1957 UTC »
[UDXF] Night of Nights 2013‏

Richard Dillman

To: Boatanchors, UDXF, Ham Radio History, Radio Officers

Night of Nights 2013 will take place on 12 July (Pacific time). 

Coast stations KPH, KFS and our own KSM will be on the air.  Most frequencies will be activated with vintage transmitters.  Plus we have just be informed that US Coast Guard station NMC will be on the air.  We hope (but can't yet confirm) that WLO and KLB will be on the air as well.

This annual event, sponsored by the Maritime Radio Historical Society (MRHS), commemorates the sending of what was supposed to be the last commercial Morse message in North America.  But one year and one minute later we returned KPH to the air, picking up the thread and keeping the faith with the men and women who went before us and made the profession of radiotelegrapher one of honor and skill.  Every year since that first Night of Nights we have recognized and honored our heritage by returning these stations to the air on all marine frequencies from MF to HF.  And our amateur station, K6KPH, will be on the air as well.

I will post a list of frequencies to this email list early next week.  But it will be abbreviated our of respect for subscribers who may not be interested in this event.

You can receive full information including the transmitters and antennas in use for each frequency by subscribing to our electronic Newsletter to receive the special Night of Nights 2013 Extra Edition.

To subscribe go here:

http://tinyurl.com/kkd662d

The extra edition will be issued on the evening of Tuesday 9 July Pacific time so subscribe before then if you want to receive it.   You can opt out at any time with the click of the mouse.

We will send out last minute changes and signal reports by Twitter.  You can join Twitter free at:

https://twitter.com/

and follow us at

@Radiomarine

You can join us in person as well at the RCA receive site in the Point Reyes National Seashore north of San Francisco.

VY 73,

RD

=================================
Richard Dillman, WPE2VT
Chief Operator, Coast Station KSM
Maritime Radio Historical Society
http://www.radiomarine.org

Fansome

Re: [UDXF] Night of Nights 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 0016 UTC »
[UDXF] Final Information - Night of Nights 2013‏

Richard Dillman

In my earlier email I said I'd post an abbreviated list of call signs, frequencies, times and transmitter and antenna specifications for stations participating in Night of Nights 2013.  But it turns out that with eight stations and thirty transmitting frequencies even an abbreviated list might impose a bit more on readers than those who are not interested in the event than is really polite.  So... here's the deal:

We've just published our Night of Nights Extra edition of the MRHS Newsletter.  It contains everything from the data mentioned above to QSL addresses and where to find us if you'd like to join in the fun in person.

You can find that Extra edition in our Newsletter Archive section at:

http://tinyurl.com/9kv9u3j

If you have any problems downloading it or need more information just let me know.

VY 73,

RD

Richard Dillman, WPE2VT

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 0147 UTC »
How are those OCD meds working out for you, Al?

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 0326 UTC »
I went through your post several times, and I counted this:

46 characters
9 spaces
5 capitol letters
2 punctuation
1 line

Excuse me now; I feel the need to wash my hands...

How are those OCD meds working out for you, Al?

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 0457 UTC »
I'm glad I haven't missed this!  My code was downright rotten last year, but I still managed to pick up Night of Nights 2012.  Trying again this go round, hopefully with better copy! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 0515 UTC »
I got a discount coupon from the ARRL recently, and used it to buy a Morse code training package. I passed the Advanced Class many years ago, which included a Morse qualification, but of course that's not required anymore. I can still sort-of copy Morse, and I hope to get back up to speed. I think it's worth the effort.

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 0009 UTC »
[UDXF] Corrected Night of Nights Information‏

Richard Dillman

Please make these additions and corrections for Night of Nights 2013 information

The full Night of Nights 2013 announcement is on our Web site at:

> Add KSM 6474.0

The KSM 6Mc frequency was unintentionally omitted from the announcement.  Here's the corrected frequency list for KSM:

Frequency           Transmitter                     Antenna

500/426               Henry MF-5000D            Marconi T
6474.0                 Henry HF-5000D            Double Extended Zepp
8438.3                 Henry HF-5000D            Double Extended Zepp
12993.0               Henry HF-5000D            H over 2
16914.0               Henry HF-5000D            H over 2

> Correct Email Address

The correct email address for sending commemorative messages to be broadcast on Night of Nights is:

info@radiomarine.org

> Correct NMQ Antenna

The correct MF transmitting antenna is an inverted L, not the tower as listed.

We wish you fair winds, following seas and good listening

VY 73,

MRHS

Richard Dillman, WPE2VT

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 1637 UTC »
To avoid flipping thru pages and sites this evening, I put together a freq sorted list of participant stations.  Keeping in the spirit of this old school event, I hope to be using the R7, which is one of the least frequency agile receivers known to man.  Hoping this will find use as a checklist and as an aid in taking advantage of props tonight.  I also hope I didn't fat-finger too many errors into this.

426.0  KPH
  426.0  KSM
  448.0  NMC
  448.0  NMQ
  472.0  NMC
  472.0  NMQ
  488.0  KLB
  500.0  KLB
  500.0  KPH
  500.0  KSM
  500.0  NMC
  500.0  NMQ