We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What ever happened to the Carribean Beacon station 6090 kHz?  (Read 909 times)

Offline KandiKlover

• View Profile
I used to receive this all the time back before the minimums few years ago but I can't get on any Kiwi remotes near where it's supposed to be either. Granted it's all the lame non-UFO recordings of Gene Scott filtered by his blowhard wife but it was a really unique transmitter location which made it a fun catch and decent propagation test.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: What ever happened to the Carribean Beacon station 6090 kHz?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 0913 UTC »
I haven't heard them for months, if not years. Mediocre SW conditions over the past 4-5 years hasn't helped. Even the new solar cycle 'peak' predicted to happen later this year doesn't seem to be helping as much as previous cycles.

The only thing I hear on 6090 is China, but that's early in the morning.

And I don't think the University Network is as flush with money as it was in the 1990s and 2000s when Gene Scott was still alive.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 1114 UTC »
They're no longer listed in the EIBI database, I wonder if they're off the air? They used 11775 kHz as well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 1816 UTC »
I can’t remember the details, but they have been off air for years. The license is cancelled as well now.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 2325 UTC »
The Caribbean Beacon no longer exists at this point, the latest "Ask WWCR" broadcast from August 17th (available at https://wwcr.com/ask-wwcr.html ) coincidentally talks about the station. Apparently the Caribbean Beacon has been scapped and the spare parts have been transferred to WWCR for use with their transmitters.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 1920 UTC »
I just assumed the electric bills got too expensive for the ministry, which Gene Scott's daughter has led since he died way back in 2005. WWCR broadcasts the University Network shows so much that Scott's ministry is still prominent on shortwave even without the Carribean Beacon.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 1127 UTC »
I just did a short search, and there are YT and other vids and sound clips of the Caribbean Beacon as late as 2017 or 2018 online.

But Hurricane Irma hit Anguilla fairly hard in late 2017. I would think that might have helped do the Beacon in. Although that's just a guess. And listening to Melissa Scott lately, she talks a lot about money. I've heard her talking about it maybe 9 out of the last 10 times I've heard her sermons. So I'm guessing that they really aren't all that flush with money.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 0016 UTC »
The Hurricane Irma thesis seems to be correct. Found this on the interwebs...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 0018 UTC by Molvania Poacher »
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.