We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sensitive riders want a safe place away from B.C. Ferries Wi-Fi  (Read 1323 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
While debate rages on over the effects of wireless technology on human health, those who claim a hypersensitivity to electromagnetism have called on B.C. Ferries to provide options to limit their exposure.

Louise Campbell of Nanoose Bay says her sensitivity to wireless devices can make a ferry ride to the Mainland a nightmare.

“For me, my day is thinking about how long I can spend in the mall, because there’s Wi-Fi in the mall. If I’m going to a friend’s house, I have to ask them to turn the Wi-Fi off,” she said.

Campbell claims her condition causes her to become lightheaded when exposed to wireless devices.

A two-hour trip into the city can leave her fatigued for the rest of the day. Campbell avoids restaurants, coffee shops, movie theatres and anywhere she expects exposure.

http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2013/7/26/sensitive-riders-want-a-safe-place-away-from-b-c-ferries-wi-fi
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sensitive riders want a safe place away from B.C. Ferries Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 0206 UTC »
And that article is filed under the "pseudoscience" category on the Richard Dawkins site.

When I first looked at the photo I thought she was holding a hash pipe.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 0229 UTC »
I am rarely more than a few feet away from a wi-fi - and I almost always feel tired  (and I thought it was just from too much work.....).
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 0659 UTC »
WTF?

I ride those ferries all the time and know what? Their signal is terrible! Her own cell is dumping more rubbish into her than BC Ferries WiFi :P

Peace!

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 0847 UTC »
I believe that, with careful thought, this woman is insane.

Whilst there is evidence to suggest that people can detect Wi-Fi signals, it has been proven by many Universities, such as Bristol and Manchester, that this does not cause any symptoms like the lady is describing. Further more, she is most likely going to get more of a headache from high voltage power cables.
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns