We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Oakland Park man electrocuted while installing pirate radio station antenna  (Read 1936 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
An Oakland Park man was electrocuted while trying to install a pirate radio station antenna on the roof of a strip mall, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Jean Roselet Adelphonse, 42, died Monday when the antenna he tried to put up at the strip mall came in contact with a power line, officials said. The incident occurred in the 300 block of East Prospect Road, where Adelphonse had a business, sheriff's spokeswoman Gina Carter said.

Adelphonse was climbing a tree at about 10:40 p.m. when he was electrocuted, the Sheriff's Office said. His friend, Clebert Durand, who was helping him install the antenna, called 911.

Adelphonse died at the scene, Carter said. Durand, also 42, of Fort Lauderdale, was not hurt, she said.

It appears the pirate radio station the pair tried to start was a Creole-speaking station, Carter said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/oakland-park/fl-pirate-radio-fatal-20130731,0,2205211.story
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
"And that ends today's lesson in how not to install antennas........"

Offline ChrisLobd

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
Damn amateurs!
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
Totally shocking.

I can't believe how much the power to his head
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline RedMercuryLabs

• Earth
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - redmercurylabs
    • View Profile
    • Red Mercury Labs
OUCH... ???

That's why I hang the doublet from the yardarm...worst case scenario, Spike falls in the water and smells like fish for a week. That's fine with him though, I think he's dating a porpoise...
On a clear blue sea...
Yoshi 5000 Transmitter
Doublet hanging from the yardarm
Saxton 8322  RG 223/U  Feed
RV Red Mercury
"I don't post much, but when I do, I prefer HFU"