We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: So you think you've heard a strong signal?  (Read 224 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
So you think you've heard a strong signal?
« on: November 30, 2023, 1847 UTC »
This is Radio Nacional Amazonias, 11780khz, 100kw beamed at 340 degrees azimuth from a site 20 miles NW of Brasilia. Their target is the Amazon region of Latin America.  (6180 is listed at 344 deg, 11780 shows 0 deg but that would indicate, depending on your interpretation, 359/360 deg or Non directional.. neither of which is true) I've seen a map in a video of their transmitter site that indicates the 11780 pattern skews a slight bit more NW then 6180.

The smack dab center of their main lobe for 11780 comes within about 500 miles of me, which is almost nothing in the world of higher powered HF comms. I am at exactly the right place for a 2nd or 3rd hop alolng with often having just the right amount of daylight or darkness. I know plenty people spread out over the lower 48 who don't have as good of a signal as I do.

And to think, I'm about 5000 miles away from their target audience.

McGrath Alaska QTH
275 people, 250 miles NW of Anchorage
TEF6686 Radio
15 Foot wellbrook loop
DXEngineering preamp
EMTEch zM2 Antenna tuner.

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!