We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiwiSDR 2 Now Available for Pre-order.  (Read 3253 times)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR 2 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 1506 UTC »
Note this change for the KiwiSDR2:

“….Every KiwiSDR 2 has the proxy service enabled by default. So you can connect using the serial number, e.g. 21xxx.kiwisdr.com The serial number is found on the printed sheet inside the shipping box. Also written on the bottom of the metal case. On the admin page, connect tab, you may disable this and use whatever connection method you like (e.g. by domain name, IP address, DUC domain etc). You can also change the proxy name from the serial number to a name you choose (assuming it's not already taken)….”

http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-new-k2-owners

If you don’t want your KiwiSDR2 accessible from the internet, you will need to disable this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 2123 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR 2 Now Available for Pre-order.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 1305 UTC »
FYI....

When you receive your KiwiSDR 2 DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, do any sort of Debian upgrade from the delivered Debian 11.8. Otherwise you may brick your Kiwi server (Debian should continue to run).

The Beagle guys have been at it again and have changed the way the SPI interface works. I need to understand the change and compensate for it in a later Kiwi release.

Thank you.

Source: https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/17778/#Comment_17778
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline N8BTR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2024, 1418 UTC »
Note this change for the KiwiSDR2:

“….Every KiwiSDR 2 has the proxy service enabled by default. So you can connect using the serial number, e.g. 21xxx.kiwisdr.com

If you don’t want your KiwiSDR2 accessible from the internet, you will need to disable this.

Sure, but they would need to know/try every serial number....and easy enough to add a PW for users outside your network.

Got my KiwiSDR2 the other day, thrilled to have my own!

-Nate
N8BTR

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 0241 UTC »
Got my KiwiSDR2 the other day, thrilled to have my own.

Just received notification today that mine has shipped.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 0439 UTC »
Received mine, but admittedly, it is still in the box. I might get around to initial testing over the weekend.
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 1904 UTC »
The Kiwi arrived this morning (Friday 01 Mar 2024). At first glance, the unit is nicely constructed and relatively smaller than anticipated. It measures no more than 5" x 3". Something new to play with over the weekend.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 1752 UTC »
Orders being accepted now for the second production run.

https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/17961/#Comment_17961

https://kiwisdr.nz/collections/all

The devs are ordering parts for a third production run, too.

BTW, mine is working fine. :) Just not public, and it probably will not be until I get it off an USB switching power supply and decide on an antenna.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 1755 UTC by RobRich »

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024, 1157 UTC »
The third batch of KiwiSDRs are now available.

https://kiwisdr.nz/

Minneapolis, MN

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 1215 UTC »
….and the third run is now sold out.  Glad to see the demand is still there.  Hope he does a 4th run.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2024, 2152 UTC »
There could still be supply available through retailers, as per jks....

"We have shipped hundreds now to ML&S (UK) hamradio.co.uk and WiMo (DE) wimo.com. So consider ordering from them. Check if they will ship to your region and the cost.

Source: https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3051/kiwisdr-2-kiwisdr-nz-sold-out-please-order-via-hamradio-co-uk-and-wimo-com/p2

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2024, 2300 UTC »
European seller WiMo has a new stock of KiwiSDR 2, at 497 € (including VAT).
edit >>> The GPS antenna is included.

The PSU 4A/5V is a low cost option (19.90 €), a switching PSU, but made to medical standards :
EN60601-1 (2xMOPP level)

The medical norms are specially strong about the risks of overvoltage to the patient or to the operator,
but they also include non-medical norms about clean current output. So that a good way to avoid both the junk PSU's and the overpriced hardware for audio hi-fi fools.

The GPS/Galileo/Glonass referenced oscillator is an expensive option.

edit : at my first visit to the WiMo site, I was quickly guided to that GPS accessory (more than 200 €),
but I can't find it again....

edit : maybe I saw the DxPatrol GPSDO  (seen today at €149)

Anyway, the standard GPS antenna for the KiwiSDR 2 is not displayed, at least not easily found on the site.

edit : the GPS antenna is not even mentioned on the ML&S site

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 1015 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2024, 2341 UTC »
There are decent deals out there on eBay and similar for quality power supplies if patient. I picked up a new, though out-of-box Acopian 5v 32a linear highly-regulated supply with the overvoltage protection option. 0.005% load and line regulation with 0.25mV RMS ripple. Reputable dealer with a warrantied guarantee. MSRP as spec'd is $750+. I paid under $150 shipped.

32a is kind of ridiculous for just a single Kiwi, but the decent mid-range eBay and similar 5v audiophile supplies tend to be like $125 to $200 anyway, and most of those have little to no meaningful published specs.

Here is a new open-box 5v 22a sibling to my mentioned Acopian supply. Overvoltage option included, plus same regulation and ripple specs as above. $111.75 shipped at the moment. Same vendor where I purchased mine, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325755116796
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 2117 UTC by RobRich »

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2024, 1510 UTC »
Any moderator could modify the title?

Just deleting 'for pre-order' please
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2024, 1842 UTC »
Looks like someone got a decent deal on the Acopian 5v 22a supply. :)

Anyway one can drop a search for "Acopian A5H" models if interested in other offerings. The A series are the high-performance models with ±0.005% regulation. An added V prefix means the overvoltage protection option is included.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns