We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best cheap loop or compact antenna?  (Read 900 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Best cheap loop or compact antenna?
« on: January 10, 2024, 2052 UTC »

So, in a case of "I haven't had enough coffee and my brain's not working," I recently reversed the receiver and antenna outputs on my MLA-30+'s bias tee, that little piece of electronics got REALLY hot before I finally noticed, and then it stopped working. It has since started lighting up again at times, but I'm not sure it'll still work in the long term.

I like the MLA-30+ as a low-cost secondary antenna to my end-fed longwire, and it works better in some conditions with my receivers than the longwire. Additionally, the MLA-30+ seems to work pretty well with the RTL-SDR I've started playing around with. So, here's my question:

Do I get another MLA-30+, or is there a better option for ~$50 out there, like the Youloop or some other compact design?
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Best cheap loop or compact antenna?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 2214 UTC »
The Cross Country Wireless HF Active Loop Antenna v4 will run you a little more than $50.00 but I think is worth considering. The videos that I have seen are impressive. Cross Country Wireless also has an eBay store from where you can order from. I just checked and they are currently "out of stock" which is a good indication that people are purchasing the product. The horizontal mounting configuration is interesting.

I personally am planning to order one and use it with my new KiwiSDR v2 when it arrives.

Cross Country Wireless
https://www.crosscountrywireless.net/active_loop_antenna.htm

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 2252 UTC »
If the loop remote preamp section is okay, you can buy an assembled bias tee for a few dollars via eBay, Aliexpress, etc. If you do not have a dedicated DC power supply, even a 9v battery worked fine when I initially tested a MLA-30 here.

Actually the included MLA-30 bias tee with its 5vDC->12vDC boost converter chip is somewhat over spec for the usual preamp chips being used anyway. The usual LM592, NE592, etc. VGA video amps repurposed as inexpensive basic RF preamps typically used are rated for more like ~8vDC. Some of these basic amp chips will work sometimes at even lower voltages with mild to moderate reductions in gain. You might even check if your RTL-SDR's own integrated 5v bias tee will power your MLA-30 remote preamp and provide have enough gain for your purposes. YMMV

You can build a YouLoop-style antenna for a few dollars. A piece of whatever coax, a mix 73 binocular ferrite, and a little wire.

https://swling.com/blog/2020/04/diy-how-to-build-a-noise-cancelling-passive-loop-ncpl-antenna/

One concern is a passive loop tends to need a receiver with decent dynamic range, like an Airspy HF+D, SDRplay RSPdx, or similar. Otherwise plan on needing a preamp. which off-the-shelf can cost anywhere from a few dollars to ridiculous money depending upon the desired performance characteristics.

Of note there are YouLoop-style antenna kits with bundled preamps on eBay and elsewhere, though I suspect the preamp stage is probably yet another inexpensive video preamp repurposed as a basic RF preamp. The other downside is it is not a remote preamp bundled with the kits I have seen, though that tends to be less of an issue at lower HF and MW.

BTW, I have used a YouLoop with a basic antenna tuner instead of a preamp to improve matching with a receiver, for example with my Tecscun PL-330. That said, admittedly, a preamp tends to be the much easier and straightforward solution in such a situation.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?topic=71326.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 2313 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 2212 UTC »
I went on the Cross Country website today and received this:

"HF Active Loop Antenna...DISCONTINUED "

FYI
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 0048 UTC »
I must be blind as I do not see this as being discontinued. The original Cross Country Wireless HF Active Loop Antenna was discontinued and replaced by the "version 4". This is a relatively new product for them.

https://www.crosscountrywireless.net/active_loop_antenna.htm

Offline Cross_Country_Wireless

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 2011 UTC »
Hi i's Chris from Cross Country Wireless.

We build regular batches of the V4 Loop Antenna.

As we have been going since 1995 some of our earlier designs have been discontinued including the earlier loop antenna and active antenna designs.

The discontinued links you have seen are the early designs.

Regards,

Chris

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 0002 UTC »
Thanks Chris, and welcome to the HFU.

Looking forward in trying one of your new loop antenna.

~SIGINT~

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns