We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Help for a newbie  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Meme

• View Profile
    • Email
Help for a newbie
« on: September 04, 2013, 1154 UTC »
I'm interested in fox hunting and I'm wondering if there's anyone willing to answer some questions through the message system here. I need someone who can explain layman's terms. Please message me if you have a bit of time. Thanks ;-)

Offline Meme

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 1323 UTC »
Haven't gotten a reply, but figured I'd ask a few things here.

Do you always need a ham license to place a transmitter for a fox hunt type game?

How do you pick out a frequency to use? Can you make up your own? How many digits can you use?

I've seen these big antenna's, but are there small antenna's that can be used from a car and then on the ground while searching for the transmitter?

Is it possible to monitor the transmitter from a home area far away to see if a team has found it?

Thanks so much.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 1733 UTC »
Haven't gotten a reply, but figured I'd ask a few things here.

Give it time, not everyone checks theses forums 24/7.  I don’t know about others, but I typically hit the forums maybe 2 times a day max unless I am watching a specific thread.

You do not indicate your general location, but I will assume you are in the US and my answers will be predicated on that assumption.  Different nations have different requirements.

Do you always need a ham license to place a transmitter for a fox hunt type game?

The need, or not, for a license to place a transmitter will be driven by the service the transmitter is in.  If the transmitter operates within ham bands then a ham license will be needed and certain performance limitations and transmission requirements will need to be achieved.  If the transmitter is in a service that does not require a license, for example FRS, then a license is not needed (I do not know if the FRS regulations allow unattended operation, that is something that would need to be confirmed, just using FRS as an example).

A Part 15 legal transmitter would not require a license.

If this is not making sense to you, it might help to understand that the “regulations” that control radio transmissions are divided up into multiple parts, each part has separate requirements.  For example Ham radio and CB radio are not the same, and have different requirements.  As does Public Service radio, Family Radio Service, MURS, etc, etc.

How do you pick out a frequency to use? Can you make up your own? How many digits can you use?

The frequency of operation would be a function, again, of the particular service the transmitter is in.  Each service typically has bands the transmitters can operate in, with many services being specifically channelized, meaning you would have to be on one of the specified frequencies.  Using CB as an example you would be able to select from one of 40 channels in the 26965 kHz to 27405 kHz range.  Other services (ham radio, for example) would just give you a maximum and minimum frequency, and you can select any frequency between those points (within certain guidelines).

Please clarify what you mean by “How many digits can you use?”  26.965 MHz, 26965.0 kHz, and 26965000 Hz are all the same frequency, and are all CB channel 1.

I've seen these big antenna's, but are there small antenna's that can be used from a car and then on the ground while searching for the transmitter?

Antenna selection for Fox Hunting is a huge juggling act.  As a general rule the “size” of an antenna is a function of the frequency used.  However there are several compact designs that can be used for RFDF, assuming the user is willing to accept the performance limitations.

In other words, yes, you can probably find a small antenna to do what you want, but this is not a simple question, it cannot be answered quickly, easily, and with detail in few lines of information.  And based on your other questions I assume you do not have adequate background to understand the possible answers.  This last is not a slam on you in any way, I am only saying antennas for RFDF can range from very simple to get quite complex and antenna selection can be a balancing game of compromises, and you sound like you need more background before you can start to understand the factors.

Is it possible to monitor the transmitter from a home area far away to see if a team has found it?

The possibilities are only limited by your imagination, technical background, and the depth of your pockets.  If you wanted to, for example, you could absolutely put a camera monitoring the transmitter location, and monitor the site from any location you wanted.

T!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 1736 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Meme

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 1818 UTC »
Thank you Token so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I was sort of afraid to ask them as I didn't think I'd understand the answers. I was wondering what FRS is that you mention. I was just sort of thinking that maybe I could try doing something like this in a simple way to see if I could get some friends and family interested in playing with it. I wish I had an electronics type mind. You guys are so smart!! ;-) Oh I just read that it's a Family Radio Service. Is there a list of frequencies that can be used license free that I can look up?

Oh and when I meant to check the transmitter from home...I was wondering if it could be heard on like a shortwave radio. I heard those can detect stuff all over the world. So if I'm understanding this...you can have a transmitter set at a certain frequency and then you dial in that frequency on a shortwave and can hear it. You can also use a ham radio and dial in that frequency and hear it if your close enough to it.

Thanks too for having patience with my layman type questions. I've just always had a fascination with this kind of thing, but it's hard to start when there are so many terms you don't understand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 1836 UTC by Meme »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 1015 UTC »
FRS is the "Family Radio Service", a license-free radio service located in the UHF section of the radio spectrum, with frequencies at 462 and 467 Mhz.

Wikipedia has a frequency chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

PS, you wouldn't be able to hear an FRS radio or transmitter on a shortwave radio.  Shortwave radios generally only tune the HF spectrum (1.7 to 30 Mhz), along with the AM band, FM band, and sometimes Longwave.  FRS frequencies are much higher than that.

To hear FRS you would need an FRS radio, or a scanner.  Hope this helps.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).