We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AM Rally This weekend  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
AM Rally This weekend
« on: February 02, 2024, 1719 UTC »
This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), using any type of radio equipment. Modern, Vintage, Tube, Transistor, Software Defined, Military, Boat Anchor, Broadcast, Home Brew or Commercially available radio are all welcomed to join in on the AM fun.

Starting 7:00pm EST Friday Feb. 2 - ending 2:00am EST Monday Feb. 5, details at http://www.amrally.com
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: AM Rally This weekend?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 2029 UTC »
Most of the activity has been on 3885kHz AM. Thus far, done a couple of round-table contacts, until 05:00UTC, when propagation flipped the switch and dropped the 75M band. 40M has been pretty bad as well, where the Big-Guns are coming in like an S5, than the arm-chair S+20/9 and better. W1AW was on around 17:00UTC on 14.297MHz AM, and I made it back to them, there. If there is a CME afoot, hopefully it can lay down, for at least another day. There is some 29.0000MHz AM activity, but my electrical noise levels suck. Well, part of the fun in this AM Rally is the challenge. And, a surprise of a Numbers Station on 14.306MHz AM. (Really?!?!?) Nah... That won't attract attention. Regardless, enjoy!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AM Rally This weekend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 2058 UTC »
This moring at 1500 UTC , 14.286 was open for a good hour. I worked four stations, Kentucky, Texas, Minnesota and Massachusetts. Then hooked up on 7.285 in a round table and made a few more.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 2143 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: AM Rally This weekend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 2137 UTC »
I've been on 7293 kHz and made quite a few contacts. Lots of California/Nevada stations.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: AM Rally This weekend? SAT, was better.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 1939 UTC »
Those T-storms in Georgia just ripped-up the HF bands. That said, did a W1AW contact on 20M on the strange FREQ 14.297MHz AM. Had to go pretty narrow to pull her out of all the SSB stations in there, but did the contact exchange. Saturday, was the better of the two days where noise was concerned. Still, I did better this year, than last year. Gear used, Kenwood TS-2000X, with EXT UR6QW 5-Band EQ / COMP and Heil HMM mic, to three-tube AL-811A amp, VERSA Tuner V, and Homebrew Windom. Also, for 10M, dedicated a TS-50S, with AT-50 Auto-Tuner and Cushcraft AR-10 GND-Plane. Incidentally, also called CQ and monitored 144.300MHz AM on the "B" side of the TS-2000X, with 3 -element 2M HORZ beam. Nothing, heard there, but had it, so used it. Still, fun event.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.