We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why cassette tapes are making a comeback — and it’s not just a fad?  (Read 966 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/why-cassette-tapes-are-making-a-comeback-and-it-s-not-just-a-fad/ar-BB1igaoU
How many of us still have bins and drawers of cassettes to still go through. Ya know, there's a lot of history recorded all over on cassettes. Like, pirate radio history. Now, what's that cassette company in MO?  Oh yeah, this one.  https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/   Huh... No Metal Tape formulas? At least, you can still buy CrO2.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
This to me is one of the more mystifying things if you're talking pure aesthetics. The only advantages cassettes had in the past were portability and low cost (if you bought albums on tape - I preferred to record my LPs and CDs to blank cassettes, unless I got them used or because it was significantly cheaper than CD). That's unlike vinyl which had its dynamic advantages, or CD's which have their capacity advantages (and which I think will make a comeback for that reason). Cassettes didn't sound good, and it's a pain to have to FF and RW to find a song you want to hear. Those were fatal flaws once portable CD players came along and CD prices dropped, but the iPod, file sharing, and the ability to rip both vinyl and disc to .mp3 format really killed it off. So all I can see in the revival is pure nostalgia and maybe a bit of hipsterism, because nobody is getting out a Walkman or installing a 40 year old deck into their cars to listen to these.

I should add that I remember the mixtape phenomenon as well as tape trading, but again that's not anything that can't be done online now. Creating a playlist online and sharing it with whomever is as easy as pie.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
I agree with MDK2... I have had cassettes, CD, and HD/SD in my vehicles. Cassettes where great before CDs, as I'm not going to put a turntable nor reel-to-reel deck in the car. CDs could switch between songs quickly & easily. There is an argument about audio quality, but in the car, does it really matter with road, wind & other noises? In my current car, I have a HD & some SDHC cards... much, much better than cassettes & CDs. Can store vastly more than the other two and trivially switch between the vast plethora of songs.

I have a bunch of albums and my old cassettes. I've converted many of those into MP3, put them on an SDHC and stuffed it into the car.

At home, I still have two reel-to-reel decks, a dual cassette deck, and a turntable. I only listen to cassette is from recording I made long, long ago. Turntable is great.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline uhf35

• View Profile
I dont think that the Cassette is massibly returning.

May be this is similar to "Vinyl return", with excepcional costs and regular quality of new copies compaired with old ones. Only a return in "fanatic mode" by new people, or  nostalgic remember by old ones.

But, going to basics... -and blank the fact of I m a very... very fan of CD tech how an advanced in time and disrupt format when it born at end of 70s-...

I believe that (for equally duración and quality in mobile situation, cars, outdors, etc.), "the little box" (Compact Cassette), is most reliable, practical and robust way of carry music, -cause: CD is more "destroyable" and digital ones... well... in this format problem is not the content but interfacing devices, most of these literally "discartbly" ones in "undesirable yard situation"

In fact, pirate SW portable emissions may be a good example for needry of Cassette return ;)

That's unlike vinyl which had its dynamic advantages, or CD's which have their capacity advantages.

Yes, but... dynamic vinyl advantages are more commonly dependable of mastering audio process, is not an intrinsecall format advantage. Good times of mastering maked good vinyl and, logically, loudness war times maked bad CDs from mid nineties... But, this fact is also true if invert.

May be you refer to more reliably (sub and suprasonic) frequency response of vinyl (majorly inaudible), compaired with Nyquist 44100/16 cut of CD, but this fact crashs with cross pickup position read angle (that destroy fidelity from mid of 33/12 inches record sides to end), and horrible signals to noise ratio compaired with CD or digital ones, although the 16 to 19 KHz response of cassettes (talking of CR2 of Fe tapes and  directly function of quality of recording deck), of course, is not an amazing feature of this format...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 1419 UTC by uhf35 »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
May be you refer to more reliably (sub and suprasonic) frequency response of vinyl (majorly inaudible), compaired with Nyquist 44100/16 cut of CD, but this fact crashs with cross pickup position read angle (that destroy fidelity from mid of 33/12 inches record sides to end), and horrible signals to noise ratio compaired with CD or digital ones, although the 16 to 19 KHz response of cassettes (talking of CR2 of Fe tapes and  directly function of quality of recording deck), of course, is not an amazing feature of this format...

That stuff's above my pay grade. All I know is what my ears tell me, and they tell me that cassette tapes hiss, no matter how high quality they may be, no matter how clean and advanced your tape deck and amplifier and speakers are. So generally vinyl > cassettes, all other considerations being equal.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Why cassette tapes are making a comeback? Then, there's this.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 1647 UTC »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/9-valuable-cassette-tapes-that-made-music-history/ar-AA1kYQHd?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=LCTS&cvid=d328b4a0bfcf4372939a0f278977d5b1&ei=16    Seen this coming out of OUTLOOK. Actually, aren't there Open-Reel recordings out there that are worth way more?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://www.radiosurvivor.com/2024/05/podcast-341-the-distorted-history-of-the-cassette-tape/    As long as this thread post is cover the subject. I became aware of the latest RS podcast on Thursday 5/16/2024. Had I known that they were going to do so, I would have FWR'ed them our posts and comments on cassettes. Enjoy.