We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 4775 PRU Radio Tarma 0945 UTC 24 Feb 2024  (Read 469 times)

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
4775 PRU Radio Tarma 0945 UTC 24 Feb 2024
« on: February 24, 2024, 1049 UTC »
Recently only Peruvian into PA has been 4820 R Senda Cristiana but this morning Radio Tarma is pretty strong with only that weird swooping radar (?) noise. This is a nicer local reception for me because it's one of the historical ones while the other one wasn't around 40 years ago when I was really into this.  Of course, there were as many as 100 other Peruvians at that time but I prefer not to think about it, too depressing!
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 4775 PRU Radio Tarma 0945 UTC 24 Feb 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 1710 UTC »
Recently only Peruvian into PA has been 4820 R Senda Cristiana but this morning Radio Tarma is pretty strong with only that weird swooping radar (?) noise. This is a nicer local reception for me because it's one of the historical ones while the other one wasn't around 40 years ago when I was really into this.  Of course, there were as many as 100 other Peruvians at that time but I prefer not to think about it, too depressing!

That swooping radar noise isnt radio tarma..its coastal ocean dynamics application radar.

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 2000 UTC »
Hi Paul - The coastal ocean dynamics applications radars (CODAR) have been observed with a variety of CW IDs around 4775 kHz.
One such ID was for WRPV785 ( https://www.radioreference.com/db/fcc/callsign/WRPV785 ), being operated by the Univ. of California
at Davis, with CODAR sites north of San Francisco.

Here at Asilomar State Beach (near Monterey), where I do my SWL'ing, CODAR is rather strong. Article about Monterey Bay CODAR HF radar - https://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/handle/10945/41229/cook_paduan_mapping_surface_currents_1997.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y .

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 0157 UTC »
Hi Paul- I meant that radar was competing with the actual Radio Tarma signal :)
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 1704 UTC »
Hi Paul- I meant that radar was competing with the actual Radio Tarma signal :)

Ah ok, I know what a great log that would be from State College, so I didn't want you thinking you had something you didn't

By the way, I lived in Ridgway PA for 4 years, just 90 minutes north of you... did the Afternoon drive show at 97.5 The Hound WDDH
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 1706 UTC »

I've heard Radio Tarma up here in Alaska several times right around 0000UTC in the middle of winter. Soemtimes its been very good, despite getting the piss slapped outta it by CODAR.

Heres some audio.. it gets real good after 5 minutes in

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4SSKURYIeIPalvsTTYDeNqGMZlMhP8G/view?usp=drivesdk

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 2040 UTC »
My PA reception was on the Milford PA KiwiSDR, so in my state but not my radio! 40+ years ago there were dozens of Andean stations that were pretty routine DX into the northeastern USA, to the point where we'd try to hear what was behind them.  I think Radio Tarma was one of the DX-but-not-exceptional ones.  Just like this recent log, early mornings usually beat late evenings for rare Andeans.

More generally, I think it would be fun if HFU had a SWBC DX history page, besides the pirate history page.  I suspect I'm not the only one who would love to reminisce about old DX targets.   

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns