We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 7182-7196 kHz -- digital or radar?  (Read 426 times)

Offline Dr. Amp

• FN11od
    • View Profile
7182-7196 kHz -- digital or radar?
« on: February 25, 2024, 0017 UTC »
Not sure what this is -- it sounds different, and looks more fine-grained, than radars I've heard before, but I'm no expert.

Also, on 7200 LSB, there's a continuous beep-beep in the background.  I know this frequency is heavily QRMed, but this sounds very similar to ALE to me.
MFJ-1024 active antenna, RX-888 MkII, SDR Console

Offline Dr. Amp

• FN11od
    • View Profile
Re: 7182-7196 kHz -- digital or radar?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 0027 UTC »
And now it's gone... it was there for quite a while before I posted.  (The beeps on 7200L are still there.)
MFJ-1024 active antenna, RX-888 MkII, SDR Console

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 7182-7196 kHz -- digital or radar?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 0801 UTC »
Not sure what this is -- it sounds different, and looks more fine-grained, than radars I've heard before, but I'm no expert.

Also, on 7200 LSB, there's a continuous beep-beep in the background.  I know this frequency is heavily QRMed, but this sounds very similar to ALE to me.

Without recordings, date and time in UTC, or a bit more description, there is no way to know what you are describing.

As for the radar, a bit before you posted this the Russian 29B6 radar was on that frequency.  However I don't know how long before you posted this you heard what you heard and it was not on that freq at the time this was posted.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA