We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 690 AM Pittsburgh PA what is this? 26 FEB 2024 Pirate or not?  (Read 586 times)

Offline Mick Boyle

• NW PA
  • Mick Boyle
    • View Profile
I have listened to this station on a Pittsburgh SDR. I tried finding it online. I don't know what kind of station it is. It doesn't seem to have any station IDs or commercial breaks. Is it a pirate or unlicensed station? I thought I would see if anyone else can find out what it is. Thanks. Also, I think it is stereo.
I just heard a voice identifying it at 1800 UTC "AM 690 Underground Stereo"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 1811 UTC by Mick Boyle »
eQSLs welcome:    cliyok@post.com    Thank you.
Mick Boyle in NW Pennsylvania
----------
Listening on Tecsun PL-330, + KiwiSDR and WebSDR. Using Shazam to ID songs

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
See thread at https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/690-pirate.752947/. Might be a Part 15 in which case the receiver must be super close to the transmitter, or they're going beyond Part 15 which I did way back in high school 45 years ago!
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
That's Boomer's WAG690, his AM Carrier-Current Station. Running 5W carrier from used LPB, Inc., gear, and home-brewed the C-QUAM AM Stereo side. Now, since you heard that, can you get the 1620kHz AM Part 15 station that's about 2 miles away from. Even Boomer, doesn't know who that is.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Mick Boyle

• NW PA
  • Mick Boyle
    • View Profile
Thanks ThaDood,

You got it. I have exchanged a few emails with Boomer and it is just what you said. I will try to hear 1620 next. Mystery solved.

That's Boomer's WAG690, his AM Carrier-Current Station. Running 5W carrier from used LPB, Inc., gear, and home-brewed the C-QUAM AM Stereo side. Now, since you heard that, can you get the 1620kHz AM Part 15 station that's about 2 miles away from. Even Boomer, doesn't know who that is.
eQSLs welcome:    cliyok@post.com    Thank you.
Mick Boyle in NW Pennsylvania
----------
Listening on Tecsun PL-330, + KiwiSDR and WebSDR. Using Shazam to ID songs