We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Charleston Radio international shut down by authoritys  (Read 728 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Charleston Radio international shut down by authoritys
« on: February 28, 2024, 2011 UTC »
From the FB page:

CHARLESTON RADIO INTERNATIONAL is shut down by authoritys today afternoon. So its history and i thank you for listening and posting over the years. The project was made for 100 years of AM Radio. I hope you remember me fondly BYE BYE
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Charleston Radio international shut down by authoritys
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 1309 UTC »
From Radio Magazine:

SUISSE: la station pirate Charleston Radio International a été fermée par les autorités helvétiques, le 28 février 2024 après-midi.  Cette station diffusait quotidiennement sur 5140 khz avec une puissance de 1 kw et était reçue dans toute l’Europe. Sa particularité était de diffuser de la musique des années 20 et 30, à l’occasion des 100 ans de la radio. Elle se faisait passer pour une station allemande et indiquait Berlin, en réalité son émetteur était situé au sud de la Suisse.
Harry Richman, son propriétaire a reçu la visite de trois agents qui ont pris des photos de l’émetteur et de l’antenne et ont emporté l’émetteur. Hardy sera certainement condamné à payer une amende dont il ignore encore le montant. Une mesure de clémence est plus que probable, car la Loi fédérale sur la radio et la télévision (LRTV) du 21 juin 1991 prévoit, à l’article 70, que "Sera puni d'une amende de 50 000 francs au plus celui qui aura rediffusé des programmes sans concession".
Alors Harry a dit que c'était maintenant de l'histoire ancienne et remercie tous ses auditeurs d'avoir écouté et publié au fil des années.  Il espère que vous vous souviendrez de moi avec tendresse.

Translation:
SWITZERLAND: the pirate station Charleston Radio International was closed by the Swiss authorities on the afternoon of February 28, 2024. This station broadcast daily on 5140 khz with a power of 1 kw and was received throughout Europe. Its particularity was to broadcast music from the 20s and 30s, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of radio. It pretended to be a German station and indicated Berlin, in reality its transmitter was located in the south of Switzerland.
Harry Richman, its owner, was visited by three agents who took photos of the transmitter and antenna and took the transmitter away. Hardy will certainly be ordered to pay a fine, the amount of which he does not yet know. A measure of leniency is more than likely, because the Federal Law on Radio and Television (LRTV) of June 21, 1991 provides, in article 70, that "Anyone who will have rebroadcast programs without concession".
So Harry said it's history now and thanks all his listeners for listening and posting over the years. He hopes you will remember me fondly.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 0403 UTC »
SUISSE: la station pirate Charleston Radio International a été fermée par les autorités helvétiques, le 28 février 2024 après-midi.  Cette station diffusait quotidiennement sur 5140 khz avec une puissance de 1 kw et était reçue dans toute l’Europe. Sa particularité était de diffuser de la musique des années 20 et 30, à l’occasion des 100 ans de la radio. Elle se faisait passer pour une station allemande et indiquait Berlin, en réalité son émetteur était situé au sud de la Suisse.
Harry Richman, son propriétaire a reçu la visite de trois agents qui ont pris des photos de l’émetteur et de l’antenne et ont emporté l’émetteur. Hardy sera certainement condamné à payer une amende dont il ignore encore le montant. Une mesure de clémence est plus que probable, car la Loi fédérale sur la radio et la télévision (LRTV) du 21 juin 1991 prévoit, à l’article 70, que "Sera puni d'une amende de 50 000 francs au plus celui qui aura rediffusé des programmes sans concession".
Alors Harry a dit que c'était maintenant de l'histoire ancienne et remercie tous ses auditeurs d'avoir écouté et publié au fil des années.  Il espère que vous vous souviendrez de moi avec tendresse.

Your translation completely missed the part I put in bold above. That portion of the sentence means "will be punished by a fine of 50,000 francs or more" so the complete sentence in translation would be:
"A measure of leniency is more than likely, because the Federal Law on Radio and Television (LRTV) of June 21, 1991 states in article 70 that, '(there) will be a fine of 50,000 francs or more for those that rebroadcast* programs without concession'".

So apparently this writer thinks that Harry will get a reduced fine because he cooperated in some manner.
50 000 CHF = $55,700 US = 51 400 EUR = 44 186 GBP at the moment. Ouch.

*French often uses the term "rebroadcast" when in English you would use "broadcast".

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 0808 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline europirate

• DX Legend
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 2026 UTC »
There have been programmes broadcast on Radio Augusta (1611 in EU) from Charleston after the shutdown.
JRC NRD-515 & NRD-545
SDRplay RSPdx
Various wire antennas ... Global AT-1000 ATU
Shazam is the DXer's friend!

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 2103 UTC »

Une mesure de clémence est plus que probable, car la Loi fédérale sur la radio et la télévision (LRTV) du 21 juin 1991 prévoit, à l’article 70, que "Sera puni d'une amende de 50 000 francs au plus celui qui aura rediffusé des programmes sans concession".

Your translation completely missed the part I put in bold above. That portion of the sentence means "will be punished by a fine of 50,000 francs or more" so the complete sentence in translation would be:
"A measure of leniency is more than likely, because the Federal Law on Radio and Television (LRTV) of June 21, 1991 states in article 70 that, '(there) will be a fine of 50,000 francs or more for those that rebroadcast* programs without concession'".

So apparently this writer thinks that Harry will get a reduced fine because he cooperated in some manner.
50 000 CHF = $55,700 US = 51 400 EUR = 44 186 GBP at the moment. Ouch.

*French often uses the term "rebroadcast" when in English you would use "broadcast".

Mistranslation again, "au plus" means "at the maximum level",
so the short for that is not "or more" but "at most". So the judge can pronounce a fine at any level BELOW 50 000 CHF, not at any level above that !
And the case is not a bad one, as the authorities let the station broadcast everyday 24h a day during 5 years or so before raiding it. Maybe the highest lost will be the value of a 1 kW transmitter able to broadcast 24h a day for years with almost no glitch.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 2331 UTC »
Mistranslation again, "au plus" means "at the maximum level",

Yes. I somehow mixed up "au moins (de)" and "au plus". Thank you for the correction.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."