We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ZNS-1 (Nassau, The Bahamas) 1540 AM 2359 UTC 2 MAR 2023  (Read 807 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
ZNS-1 (Nassau, The Bahamas) 1540 AM 2359 UTC 2 MAR 2023
« on: March 03, 2024, 0006 UTC »
Good reception with fades - English service. On St. Augustine Beach, FL using Tecsun PL 600.  About 450 miles away from my qth - 54,000 watts.

2359 Unid Jazz
0000 West Indies accented male with ID and Nassau location then "This is the Bahamas Radio Network"

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 0009 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: ZNS-1 (Nassau, The Bahamas) 1540 AM 2359 UTC 2 MAR 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 1013 UTC »
This is a tough one here in MI with KXEL dominating the freq.
Can occasionally hear some what sounds like Gospel music breaking through, but not enough for a positive ID.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 1601 UTC »
Hey All,

ZNS-1 was one that I have been wondering about over the last year or so re whether they were still on the air. Didn't ever log them though.   I was going to do a dedicated DXpedition to the South coast of MA to try and grab them, but "life " got in the way :(.

WAY (WAY!) back in the day from MA ( some on my  crystal set ) I was able to log  "some " Caribbeans - from  really  fuzzy memory : Caymans,Jamaica, Turks/Caicos,  St Kitts , LOTS of  Cubans and maybe one or two others.

Apparently ZIZ 555 Kc St. Kitts put in a good  split frequency signal to NYC. Folks back in the stone age (using analog car radios) used to be able to cruise around the Big Apple and blast ZIZ . I am not sure if they have now QSY'ed to a 10 Kc allocation.

Due to local sometimes severe QRM/QRN  from  recently  apt. building electronic systems (and also  other factors), my days of LONG AM Dx from my local QTH  may be pretty   much done. I can still copy "some" (SOME)  of the  Eastern  US big guns ( big whoop ). Working on  reducing or "solving "  some of these  technical issues ,as time allows.

Thankfully my favorite music station  (WMEX  1510 , 100 watts night , omni, around 6-8 mi ) is pretty good ,but I am working on some outboard audio tweeking to bring it up  a bit better.

My # 2 music station ,   MA regional WCRN 830, is also "OK" , but not fantastic either .

I USED to do awesome  here , but not so much  now. I suppose  I can now  look at it as a "challenge" :o

K
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 0056 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 1236 UTC »
Per several sources, looks like St. Kitts is FM nowadays.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 1953 UTC »
Hey Pinto,

Interesting note re ZIZ, It wouldn't surprise me at all if St. Kitts is  off AM now.

I am kind of amazed that ANY Caribbeans are still active on AM (!). If I recall correctly, more than one AM antenna system has been trashed by hurricanes.

I am also curious as to what  coverage range  these island stations are really looking for. "Generally", I believe that any serious  Dx coverage  may be  viewed by management  ( and maybe even the engineers) as kind of a "waste".

As much as I LOVED Dxing the Caribbean AM'ers, I never really understood why they couldn't just use a 200 Ft multi bay FM tower , which would mostly be  operating over a generally   flat     environment.

A beefy 200 ft tower would seem to be  "harder " take down  compared to a similarly heavily guyed  300 to 400 ft one .

I am not sure re making a comparison of a tall AM vs a shorter FM  and their expected field strengths with respect to any mountainous area coverage.

Perhaps ( way back when) , some of the leadership of the island wanted a local station that also had  an element of an "external" service or presence, so that the island would be able to "make itself known " outside the local area   ("prestige "? ). 

Since SO few folks now listen to AM, such a concept today wouldn't seem to be worth  the trouble on AM  re big electricity  bills,tall tower "vulnerability" and low listenership.

Frankly I can't even see how most of the tin can AM'ers here in the US manage to stay on the air (re making a  profit), even without as much of  severe weather threat  to the towers.10 or 15% of the AMer's here make 90% of the money.

I may be full of beans, but just spitballing.

NQC
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 2002 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns