We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: USAF ID 'WIDGET47' 14.213 MHz USB 25 MAR 2024 ~1528Z  (Read 284 times)

Offline FTU Alumnus

• Charlotte, NC
  • DX - Better than frozen pizza!
    • View Profile
    • Email
USAF ID 'WIDGET47' 14.213 MHz USB 25 MAR 2024 ~1528Z
« on: March 25, 2024, 1616 UTC »
As the M/W/F 14.213 MHz morning net moderated by W4CBS was winding down a station self identifying as WIDGET47 broke in basically for an equipment check. When questioned about using WIDGET47 instead of an amateur call the operator explained they were a USAF flight operating in the Panama City, Florida area. The exchange was cordial and ended after that. (I verified the flight info details as correct using one of those Internet flight reporting web sites) This was a first for me. Has anyone else ever heard the military using amateur bands without an amateur call?
Yaesu FT-1000D, Icom R71A & R7000
RTL-SDR Blog V3, Universal M-7000
Alpha Delta DX-SWL "Sloper", G5RV & Mosley TA-53M

"Western man is externalizing himself in the form of gadgets" (William S. Burroughs)

Offline osiris

• North-Central PA, USA
  • NOT THAT BUTTON, THE OTHER ONE!
    • View Profile
Re: USAF ID 'WIDGET47' 14.213 MHz USB 25 MAR 2024 ~1528Z
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 2148 UTC »
I never have but the amateur bands are a secondary service to the military. If I were a military pilot with an amateur license I might do the same thing he did just for a gas.

That's pretty cool.
Antenna: MLA-30+ Active Loop

Loc: North-Central, PA - FN11

I gladly accept QSLs. Please eMail to: teslaintheaether@gmx.com