We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MARS net monitoring question  (Read 521 times)

Offline vlf2hf

• North Texas
    • View Profile
MARS net monitoring question
« on: March 28, 2024, 0336 UTC »
I often come across MARS net comms in the 6900 khz range. I know they're using digi modes to pass traffic. I assume they're using a mode that can be decoded by fldigi to display text. In the past, I had success getting printout when they were using one of the MT63 variants, but I think they're using something else now. Yes, I know it's encrypted, and I'm not interested in trying to "hack" it. I'd just like to see if I can get it printing properly in fldigi. Anyone know what mode(s) they use so I can give it a try?
Airspy HF+ Discovery | Elad FDM-S2 sdr | dc-30mhz e-probe | L400B e-probe | DIY LF Ferrite Loopstick

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: MARS net monitoring question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 0543 UTC »
I would suspect 110A or similar. I am not big into digital modes, so YMMV.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/MIL-STD-188-110_Serial
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 1459 UTC »
Yes, 110A is correct and mostly encrypted. They use MSC Suite alongside MS-DMT and MARS-ALE.

https://www.usarmymars.org/resources/software

~SIGINT~

Offline vlf2hf

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 1711 UTC »
Thanks to you both for your replies. I have something to work with now. I'll try to post back if I'm successful in just getting it to print.

Ray

Update:

This appears to be the "end of the line" to this quest ...

"This is licensed software and is not available to the public.  The software packages are encrypted to control access to the licensed parties.  Most software intended for MARS members requires DoD Encryption Wizard and the appropriate passphrase."  Oh well, I'll guess I'll just "move along" and find some else to pique my interest.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 1734 UTC by vlf2hf »
Airspy HF+ Discovery | Elad FDM-S2 sdr | dc-30mhz e-probe | L400B e-probe | DIY LF Ferrite Loopstick

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 1932 UTC »
Scroll down at the link I posted, or click this one:

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/MIL-STD-188-110_Serial#Decoding_Software

;)
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline vlf2hf

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 1940 UTC »
Thanks RobRich. This looks interesting. :-)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns