We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: List of Latin American shortwave stations from 1992  (Read 503 times)

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
List of Latin American shortwave stations from 1992
« on: March 30, 2024, 0952 UTC »
Nostalgia (but maybe a little depressing)--from the great old Japanese publication LA DXing: https://www.calameo.com/read/0000801987063d8a51567

Approximately 900 of them, of which I'd say 600 were independent stations (the rest, especially higher frequencies, were external services like RAE). There were as many on 120m as there are *total* today!
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: List of Latin American shortwave stations from 1992
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 1439 UTC »
 Hey n2avh,

Thank you SO much for posting this. I used to be a HUGE tropical Dxer way back in the day.There is SO much material there ,  it's going to take  a few pleasant hours to really go through it :) :). I immediately  saw some of  the stations I had copied.

Yup, really sad, only a tiny few left.

HF in general has really dried up a LOT (with a degree of exception on the ham  bands). Some nights it's only 3 or 6 of the same  old  broadcasters  :-[.

FWIW, my wife is from Peru and has a "bit" of on air experience.

NQC
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 1743 UTC »
There is a lot more available, old FRENDXs (https://www.worldradiohistory.com/NASWA_Frendx.htm) and other stuff, if you really want to go down that rabbit hole! And there are five other editions (1978-96) of what I linked in the original post, just in a different format, at http://radiophj.web.fc2.com/rnm/ladx.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 1745 UTC by n2avh »
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 1625 UTC »
Hey avh,

Again thanks for the info, I will go through it when times allows.

de NQC
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 1749 UTC »
Latin America by Radio
Henrik Klemetz
Paperback : 167 pages
ISBN-13 ‏: ‎978-9519035932

Unfortunately this edition is currently not available and out of print.
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Luv to stare at those blinking satellite lights

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 1817 UTC »
I think I've seen bits and pieces of that Klemetz book at https://www.dxinfo.se/ but I've never seen the book. He and I were in Bogotá around the same time in the early 1990s (he was a much more consistent DXer than me!) but I never knew about him till years later.  You can see some of his logs at https://www.hard-core-dx.com/swb/Dline94.htm.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 1820 UTC by n2avh »

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 1622 UTC »
Hey All,

I went through the info and was able to pull out quite a few nuggets re stations that I heard way back then.

It is absolutely amazing how many were on the air then .

If I recall, a number of Canadians also used to simulcast on 49 M, 1 or 2 still do this now.

I also used to hear Germans  on 49 when I lived in Germany, some Europeans cars had 49M in the car stereos.

A bit OT, but  I also used to Springbok Radio South Africa  on 90 M ( or MAYBE 120 M). If I recall, there was at least one other South African on 90 M ( or MAYBE 120 M ) anybody remember  that one ?

I never had much (or any) luck on the Pacific Tropicals though.

I greatly appreciate this info being posted.

NQC
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 0220 UTC by NQC »