We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Voice of the Night Recording  (Read 4267 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Voice of the Night Recording
« on: October 01, 2013, 2334 UTC »
One of the tapes he sent out:

[youtube]zVA0C6qIbOA[/youtube]
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline mrlee

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Voice of the Night Recording
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 1441 UTC »
VOTN was 1993 - 1994 timeframe.

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 2122 UTC »
I remember hearing all sorts of wild stories about this guy in the late 90s, but I never heard him myself. For instance, it is said he ended up in prison, but I don't recall the details. I also recall some of the "older" pirates saying as to how he pi**ed a lot of them off, but, again, I don't remember the details.

I don't see an entry for him on the Wiki; perhaps someone with knowledge of the station's history would like to post one. I'd certainly be interested in reading it.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 2156 UTC »
Yikes!  One of the WORST jammers in our ranks.  Al - I also heard about LAD doing a prison stretch.  AJ Michaels of Action Radio was following that at one time.  I believe he took his webpage down but maybe he'll check in and enlighten us...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 2159 UTC »
A little bit more on this story can be found here.

http://www.angelfire.com/ne/actionradio/lad.html

How much of it is accurate,can only be commented by folks that have been around in those days.

I was not into Radio nor in the USA at the time frame in question.
Nevertheless does it seem to be one of the good story's of earlier Pirate days.
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 1107 UTC »
He kidnapped his former HS girlfriend at her sorority house at the University of Kentucky. Led the cops on a wild chase across eastern Kentucky, got arrested and did a short stint in jail.

When he got out ,he tried to do it again. LAD came from a wealthy family, but they weren't influential enough to save his ass a second time. I think he was released a few years back for the second offense.

I went to college with his Uncle, a great guy. In that family they're either brilliant or batshit crazy. LAD was the latter.

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 0451 UTC »
I hate it when that happens.

He kidnapped his former HS girlfriend at her sorority house at the University of Kentucky. Led the cops on a wild chase across eastern Kentucky, got arrested and did a short stint in jail.

When he got out ,he tried to do it again. LAD came from a wealthy family, but they weren't influential enough to save his ass a second time. I think he was released a few years back for the second offense.

I went to college with his Uncle, a great guy. In that family they're either brilliant or batshit crazy. LAD was the latter.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 0952 UTC »
I did a little checking. LAD was back in jail as of 2013. He violated a restraining order by making threats towards and stalking a woman.  I don't know if it was the same woman as before. He's in his mid-30's now.

I knew he had been on the regional news for something in the past couple of years, but I couldn't remember for what.

Al, Britney is threatening to shave her head again. Leave the woman alone.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns