We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Boston-Area Pirate Operators Face Possible Monetary Penalties Under PIRATE Act  (Read 264 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
"WASHINGTON, April 25, 2024—The Federal Communications Commission today proposed fines against seven pirate radio operators under the Preventing Illegal Radio Abuse Through Enforcement Act (PIRATE Act) for operating six pirate radio stations. These pirate radio stations, investigated during the Enforcement Bureau’s sweep in the Boston area under the PIRATE Act, now face proposed fines totaling $857,775."

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-402087A1.pdf
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R. Comeau

• Northeastern MA
  • PSE QSL: rosscomeau01@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Before I retired, on my drive from north of Boston to Quincy (just south/southeast of Boston), I used to pick up a few FM pirates while sitting in traffic. I remember 87.7 and there was a Hatian pirate in there somewhere, so not suprised by this article.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
Any Idiot with a Beofung walkie talkie could now be called a Pirate Radio Operator, that doesn't mean that they actually accomplished something, it just means that they were operating where they should not have been.

In the old days - you would spend a hundred thousand dollars to buy a boat and equip it with generators and transmitters and an antenna and play music and transmit on the HF where the real pirates belongs.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns