We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWVB (60 kHz) Service Degradation 07 APR 2024  (Read 335 times)

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
WWVB (60 kHz) Service Degradation 07 APR 2024
« on: April 25, 2024, 2014 UTC »
Caught the voice announcement earlier this morning on WWV with reference to WWVB's (60 kHz) antenna damage and service degradation. The station is currently operating on one antenna and at 30 kW vice 70 kW.

Notice: From approximately 0000 UTC on April 7, 2024 WWVB's south antenna has been disabled as a result of damage from wind gusts in excess of 90 MPH. WWVB continues to operate at reduced overall power using its north antenna only.

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/time-distribution/radio-station-wwvb

Offline WA0093SWL

• St. Louis, Missouri
    • View Profile
Re: WWVB (60 kHz) Service Degradation 07 APR 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 2155 UTC »
According to the MARS announcement they aren't looking at replacing it. It's indefinitely running on 30kW
RTL-SDR, HDR-14 (2), NS-HDRAD, NS-HD01A, VISTEON HDJUMP XHDATA D-109

Member of HFU since 2017
SWL: WA0093SWL
eQSL: WA0093SWL@proton.me

Offline autovon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 0000 UTC »
Will be interesting to see how much coverage changes.  One of my ‘atomic’ watches didn’t update yesterday evening.   Normally not an issue.
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 1416 UTC »
Hey All,

There doesn't SEEM to be any reduced reliability here at my QTH.I use two Radio Shack 63-968 clocks side by side ( with  the ends of ferrite touching each other ), in the HOPE that both bars couple and perhaps give a better receive signal level .I am not sure if this concept actually plays out in reality, but I had two of them anyways, so why not.

Years ago, I had a long conversation with the WWV engineers.They mentioned Florida and MA ( especially  EASTERN MA- where I live- it figures ) as "trouble spots ".

And   that was when 'VB was running at FULL  capability.

But under   the current reduced WWVB capability, I am having NO problems. So if I am doing well , in THEORY , I would THINK  the rest of the country
( expect maybe FL ?)  SHOULD be doing "OK".

Side note:   Years ago there was talk going around about establishing a second 60 Kc transmitter at the old VOA site in Greenville, NC. I  suggested that they use the old 20 KC WWVL call sign  , which I am sure they already thought of anyways. Obviously  that idea never got off the ground back then.Now WWV is barely getting funding and the WWVB antenna fix doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Nice.

Colorado can experience some VERY violent weather and this (IMHO) extremely important service is now only running on one lung. If the remaining array  goes down, do they just throw in the towel and render millions of clocks useless ?  This would have a VERY  LARGE negative impact .

NQC
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns