We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate CW net  (Read 3438 times)

Offline digitalsignalpro

• View Profile
Pirate CW net
« on: August 28, 2009, 2207 UTC »
I'm lookin to start an underground CW network. Anyone interested?

Offline cpuerror

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate CW net
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 0011 UTC »
Why not just have a legal net on the ham bands? I don't see what you would accomplish out of band unless you want to chat about illegal things?

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 0152 UTC »
I am interested to know.............what would you do on a Pirate CW net?  Curse in code?  ???
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline digitalsignalpro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 1506 UTC »
One could curse or talk about nefarious things if desired. Even though I can send and receive code at 10 words per minute and have the knowledge to pass the general test I have no desire in becoming a HAM. Except during an emergency all they do is small talk about boring subjects, plus I am the type who likes to operate outside of the rules; following the rules in no fun. For those who don't know the code, there are many computer programs that can be used to send and receive. I also have a very cool simulator of the German Navy Enigma machine that could be distributed so that the net would be private. It just seems like a fun and intellectual pursuit.

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 2219 UTC »
I agree about the average QSO on the ham bands.

Well, as I see it, this is your opportunity to change all that!  Fake a callsign if you must skate the rules, but let's do it on the amateur spectrum somewhere.  I would love to participate on a CW net to discuss interesting things (NOT ham garbage), but am not willing to risk my career to participate in a net out of band.

Offline digitalsignalpro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 2311 UTC »
Bad idea, transmitting on the ham bands is the quickest way to get busted. There is nothing more Pops loves to do than to get off his fat ass and go out and triangulate a pirate transmission that is violating his bandwidth. I think that right below the Ham 40 meter band is the place to start and then go from there. As long as we don't interfere with anybody, no one should mess with us. If the FCC does get involved, all you will get is a letter saying not to do it any more and then we will have to go mobile.

I'm going to be transmitting a URL tonight on 6.955 starting at  2100 EST. I may have to go 10 khz up or down depending on the traffic.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 1953 UTC »
50 and 55 are established conventional pirate frequencies. A lot of SW pirates aren't hams and would fire up over a code tx without thinking twice about it on a busy weekend.

There's not the digital traffic there was between 60 and 70,there was a half decade ago. That could be a window for CW piracy. With the narrow bandwidths,10 khz would be plenty to play around with.

Offline digitalsignalpro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 2222 UTC »
good point

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 1610 UTC »
I understand.  Unfortunately, count me out.