We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Solar Flare?  (Read 4584 times)

Capt. Radio

Solar Flare?
« on: November 13, 2013, 0310 UTC »
Anyone notice propagation on the SW bands nearly dead tonight? Solar Flare, or has someone put a pin in my coax?  :D

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Solar Flare?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 1124 UTC »
No major flares recently:  http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_5m.html

Nor has the K index been very high: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 1232 UTC »
Ionosphere has been really odd as of late. I hear nothing at the home QTH, take my radio 40Km away to a "known HF hole" for LF listening and it's ALIIIIIIVE all over the SW bands! :o

Peace!

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 1441 UTC »
Ionosphere has been really odd as of late. I hear nothing at the home QTH, take my radio 40Km away to a "known HF hole" for LF listening and it's ALIIIIIIVE all over the SW bands! :o

Peace!

I think its down to reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 1539 UTC »

The first thing I thought about when the sigs went away was a flare. It was really strange... WWV was non-existent at this location. I dialed up and down the bands and heard nearly nothing but locally generated digital QRM noise from cable and satellite systems.

Neutron flow...

Is that the result of discharging the flux capacitor? ... hi ... hi.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 1557 UTC »
Neutron flow...

Is that the result of discharging the flux capacitor? ... hi ... hi.

Great ghost of Rassilon! Does nobody spot a Doctor Who reference?

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 2111 UTC »
Echo_One,

Your reference to Dr. Who went totally over my head, so to speak. I must admit I have never watched an episode. The only thing I know about the show are that there are "Daeleks" (sp?), whom I believe to be some sort of robotic nuisance to the good Doctor.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 2211 UTC »
HEH "Daeleks" (sp?)... Oh those things... kinda sorta like angry over sized salt shakers...

And yes the band has settled down to little or nothing after a few days of really great conditions... <sigh>

I've got some stuff I need to post but I have been working hard at the bench... aka... creating...  mostly audio filters from mag diagrams...  fun tho when the bands are dead.

Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 0109 UTC »
*E1 emits mental QRM in anger*

It is "Daleks"

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 0222 UTC »

Thanks for your correct spelling of "Daleks" Echo_One.

You must understand that I have only a fleeting memory of an image of a Dalek (in black and white of course) moving across a concrete surface, most likely in pursuit of the good doctor. That image was seen only briefly as I was changing the channels on the telly one day. 

You have to give me some credit for missing the spelling by only one letter, you know.  ;)

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 0232 UTC »
Actually that was aimed at ka1iic

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 0250 UTC »

My mistake my good friend! All is well. (and you must know I've been "applying" a dry sense of humour in my posts with you).  :)

You know, this forum is a great place to meet and chat with some very interesting radio enthusiasts, such as yourself.

Cheers!

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 0341 UTC »
Chiming in a little late.  Nobody's stuck a pin in your coax, unless they've yanked a few cables over here at the same time.  Propagation was marvelous this weekend, but now it's shot to blazes.  I went from a clear catch of SLBC Sri Lanka and a tentative Radio Fana to not much at all, including flutter on Radio Nacional da Amazonia on 25 and wavery Ontarians on MW.  Oof.  Hopefully it sorts itself out soon, because this is a drag. 

Brrrrr, daleks.  Ick. :(  Those things are frightening! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Capt. Radio

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 1753 UTC »

Chanter,

Thanks for the signal report. I was hoping some other ops would have noticed the same event. It was kinda spooky here. I heard some strange activity on 10Mc where WWV was supposed to be. I didn't pay much attention to it because I was looking elsewhere up and down the bands.

It's a weird feeling when I noticed HF ham activity was basically non-existent at this QTH.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 1918 UTC »
Actually that was aimed at ka1iic

Spelling was never one of my strong points ;-) HEH

Vince ka1iic
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!