We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Great site radiodiscussions.com  (Read 3252 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Great site radiodiscussions.com
« on: November 24, 2013, 2118 UTC »
Found a great site called radiodiscussions.com. It's just like the hf here, but mainly does the MW & FM broadcast bands. It's all set up by market area. Theres tons of great threads going on there. Defenetly a great place to join and browse around! But just so you know- not as many there seem to be as radio learned as we all here. But don't let that stop you. It really is a great place!!
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Great site radiodiscussions.com
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 0947 UTC »
The only problem with a lot of those industry boards is they seem to be frequented by those with no understanding of fundamental principle and bloated egos.  Its kindof  like football for nerds; "My station was the first to switch to Christmas music, NANANANA" and other insidious BS.  Once in a while they would post something interesting, and occasionally local pirates would show up in their "logs".

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline PeteStL

• Eastern Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 0444 UTC »
And it's gone.
Posted on their main page...

Effective immediately RadioDiscussions and RadioDiscussions.com is ceasing operation.

We appreciate all of your support over the years.

Please direct questions or comments to: radiodiscussionscomments@gmail.com
Eastern Missouri
Kenwood TS-2000
Butternut HF2V

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 0605 UTC »
Holy f*ck. This was a site that's been around since the early Web, focused on pretty intensive discussions of U.S. broadcasting on a wide, wide range of stuff. Literally dozens of boards on the site. They had a board on community radio and a couple on engineering—no pirate board, but lots of discussion on various others. I was a regular on the HD board.

Radio Ink, the publishers of a vapid magazine, bought the joint just last year and implemented a horrible redesign that alienated many. But still—to abandon a gathering-place for broadcasting discussion that's been around and that active that long is pretty stunning. There's years of excellent content that's gone, unless Eric Rhoads and his wacknuts have the decency to static-archive it. The relative impermance of the internet remains a thorn in my side.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 1424 UTC »
I'm sure there are others, but you could try;

http://www.yourmidwestmedia.net  Has areas for all regions of radio.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 1645 UTC »
I'm sure there are others, but you could try;

http://www.yourmidwestmedia.net  Has areas for all regions of radio.

+-RH
That site constantly removes posts, even legitimate ones I have seen. Tighter moderation than I have ever seen to the point of driving out official forum members.
Also you never ever want to mention pirate stations on those sort of forums. You will either have the licensed guys hunting down the pirate trying to bust them or get a load of people bitching about how bad pirates are and blah blah.

The engineering site listed on there is quite interesting to lurk though. Lots of professional information on transmitter/antenna setups which can be useful from a pirates perspective.
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 1710 UTC »
On the plus side, it may mean more new members coming here
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 0016 UTC »
On the plus side, it may mean more new members coming here

I only frequented the DX board on RD.  There was a good group of people on the DX board with interesting discussions outside the realm of just reporting logs.  It was mostly geared towards AM/FM BCB, but the topic of pirates did come up occasionally, generally without any resistance.  It would be great to welcome some of those users here and perhaps even provide a new board on this forum catered towards general AM/FM broadcast related discussions if there's enough interest.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 0118 UTC »
I only frequented the DX board on RD.  There was a good group of people on the DX board with interesting discussions outside the realm of just reporting logs.  It was mostly geared towards AM/FM BCB, but the topic of pirates did come up occasionally, generally without any resistance.  It would be great to welcome some of those users here and perhaps even provide a new board on this forum catered towards general AM/FM broadcast related discussions if there's enough interest.

That's a great idea. Any ideas for a title and brief description for the board?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

rdla4

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 0132 UTC »
Some of the original Radio Info people have reworked www.radioinsight.com.

With the demise of Radio Discussions, the site is a bit overwhelmed. They are having registration issues etc, and the site seems pretty slow, but they claim they are working on it. A number of the old DX crown have begun to gather there.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns