We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MW question from MW newbie  (Read 2049 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
MW question from MW newbie
« on: December 15, 2013, 0550 UTC »
I don't really do any MW dx'ing but I do listen to a station from ST Joseph, MO on weekends when they have Old time radio shows overnight. I noticed that when I tune them in (KFEQ 680) there is a lot of noise in the upper side band but not in the lower side band. When I tune them on my SDR I see what looks like a digital signal centered on 685 with nothing where a carrier would be but digital hash 5 khz either side of the what for sake of a better term I'll call the "non carrier". Is this IBOC ,  the digital thingy I've heard of but obviously don't understand? I see other stations with digital "hash" in one or the other sideband. Maybe I'm seeing something in 690's LSB & 680's USB that appears to be centered on 685. The 2 digital hash thingies seem like they are of different strengths. One other question... if this is IBOC that I am seeing does it suck as much as I think it does? because I really think it sucks.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: MW question from MW newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 1549 UTC »
IBOC it is.

In hybrid mode (AM+digital), analog audio is +/- 5 kHz. From +/- 5 kHz to +/- 10 kHz are the secondary digital sidebands and from +/-10 kHz to +/- 15 kHz are the primary digital sidebands.

We have a couple of locals on IBOC. The biggest, WCCO 830, is a 50 kW flamethrower about 15 miles from me.

So what that means for WCCO:
AM: 825-835 kHz (carrier 830 kHz)
Secondary digital: 820-825, 835-840
Primary digital: 815-820, 840-845

As far as jamming on 680 USB, I believe you're hearing a station on 670 and their primary upper digital sideband. If it is 670, you should see the noise band at 660 LSB. If you have a loop, rotate it and you should see them fade in/out together.

And yes, it does suck. I have a HD receiver and can pick up 830 in HD. Its sounds like a crappy low-bit rate Internet stream. It does better at jamming than it does at providing the quality signal they claim it can. Even if I put 830 in my loop's null, 820 & 840 are impossible for DX. I can pick up a station on each, but no way for anything else. And now WDGY 740 started IBOC. But they're only a daytimer, so their jamming is limited.

From Ibiquity, the creators of this mess:
http://www.ibiquity.com/i/pdfs/Waveforms_AM.pdf

Other info:
http://hackipedia.org/Encoding/Modulation/AM%20(radio)/html/AM%20Hybrid%20IBOC%20Parameters.htm
http://radiomagonline.com/digital_radio/hd_radio/iboc_mask_compliance_1011/?cid=mostpopb2
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 1558 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Re: MW question from MW newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 1630 UTC »
Thanx Skeezix. As I said I don't really do much, or in fact any, MW dx'ing although I always intend to but never get around to it. I am able to avoid the IBOC mess on 680 KFEQ by tuning , with my trusty dog walk PL 660,  with the synchronous detector on the LSB. I only listen to MW to hear the OTR shows on Sat & Sun as I walk the hound & it requires constant adjustment of the radios angle in relation to St Joseph which is NW of me. Last night was the first time I really examined the MW spectrum with my SDR-IQ & I was truly appalled at what a mess it appears to be.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room