We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 530 AM stations  (Read 3380 times)

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
530 AM stations
« on: January 03, 2014, 0725 UTC »
Well getting ready to hit the sack and figured I'll take a quick ride on 530/Khz and see what's cooking. Strange, I'm flipping between my loop and dipole (loop is pointed toward the dipoles weak side so to say). I hear 3 stations. One very strong on the dipole, seems to be the Cuban, S10+ with classical music and obvious Spanish language. I also hear a weaker Spanish language station under it with what I call the "X" station sound. Meaning a screaming DJ of sorts with that over modulated AM signal. When I flip to the loop, both stations are nearly/completely gone and CIAO is booming in at almost 20 over. Thoughts on these others besides CIAO?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 0734 UTC by BDM »
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: 530 AM stations
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 1214 UTC »
That classical station sounds like, though without an ID I can't say entirely for sure, Radio Enciclopedia from Cuba.  The other one doesn't seem like Rebelde from the same country, given your description of the content, but maybe?  I'd suggest matching a 530 signal to 5025 on SW, but Rebelde doesn't sign on until later on shortwave.  Pretty sure someone here said they took storm damage. 

Could there be a Radio Progreso outlet on 530?  Or maybe you had somebody from XE-land (Mexico).  All I can say for sure is, none of those was Jil FM from Algeria!  XD  that's 531 anyway.  some day... sigh. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 1451 UTC »
Anyone know if Radio Visión Cristiana in the Turks & Caicos is still around?  This one used to be widely reported many years ago on 530 before storm damage took out their antenna, but I haven't seen anyone report reception in years.  The programming somewhat fits what you describe though.  I really don't pay any attention to 530 but maybe I should.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 1456 UTC »
Oh, and here's a nice frequency list of North American, Central American & Caribbean stations on 530, which of course is mostly occupied by TIS type stations:

http://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_easy.php?area=3&kHz=530

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 1555 UTC »
Thanks guys. I took a quick vid after I posted this, and you can just hardly hear the 3rd station below the very strong classical station. I faded fast and just couldn't hang around for more. Didn't bother recording as obviously I could switch back and fourth on antennas. I'll listen up tonight and see what I can pull out.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 2259 UTC »
I heard those three a few months ago. It was CIAO, R Enciclopedia, and R Rebelde. I confirmed it was Rebelde with the transmission on 5025.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 0643 UTC »
I made a short vid. Nothing scientific, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZghT-XwZzVM